• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Noise Blocking Sounds

Carrigon

I found a sound that is better than white noise. It's a Drone, like the droning of a spaceship and for some reason, it's much better than the white noise at blocking out my neighbor. Maybe because it's a low level sound. I have the hour long Drone on Windows Media Player with shuffle and repeat on so it can last indefinitely and I can sleep to it or do anything in here and I'm not hearing my neighbor's tv or whatever he's doing in there.

All sounds at this site are free to download and some of the others are very good, too.
http://babysleepnoise.com/download.html

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Most of the sound coming from your neighbor is low frequency (bass) type sounds as they can pass through walls, which would block most the higher frequency sounds. If the frequency of your neighbors sounds coming through the wall are a closer match to the new "Drone" sound, than that of the white noise then that would be the reason it is better at drowning out the noise.

I was going back to my stereo days and seeing if I could actually remember some of this stuff.

My audiologist was telling me that they were using a principle very similiar to this for some "tinnitus" therapy.

Glad the new Drone sound is helping and thanks for the link the sounds!

Carrigon

It doesn't block the bass. He put his stereo on yesterday for an hour and that bass was thumping on through. The only thing it blocks effectively is his tv, his phone calls and anything else he does in there. But nothing blocks his stereo.