• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

no start up reactions, just adrenaline and restlessness

Mary

Moderator Resource
The amount of B12 and folate you take + the B3 should definitely help your energy. B3 is pretty powerful to keep you energized as it turns into NADH/NADHP among other things.

Methylation is not just about energy... actually it's not even directly connected to energy production per se. It's about maintaining a healthy amount of SAMe and glutathione.

I see - I've mainly thought about methylation in terms of energy because my energy increased so much when I started the methylfolate. I am going to cut my niacin dose and see how I do with sleep. You are making some very good points which I had not thought through. Thanks!

MAF14

It's been months and I can't get over 1mg of mb12 and .5-1mg methylfolate. After a few days of that my adrenaline, restlessness, anxiety and tinnitus are through the effing roof. I am still not recovered from severe ativan withdrawal about 3 years ago and when taking methyl donors it seems to ramp up those particular symptoms. That leads me to believe that the mb12 and methylfolate are increasing my glutamate and dopamine. Theanine helps a little but nothing will counter the effects of the methyl donors. I have also cleared sulphates and that didn't help anything.

What is someone in this situation supposed to do?

Like you I don't experience start up reactions even at high doses (15mg methylfolate, 5mg sublingual methylcobalamin/dibencozide and 850mg LCF). I ramped up to those doses pretty much within a week and still don't have any side effects.

I do have bubbly urine with (what I think is) a sulfur-ish smell so maybe this could be a reason why? Do you know you need help methylating?

MAF14

Like you I don't experience start up reactions even at high doses (15mg methylfolate, 5mg sublingual methylcobalamin/dibencozide and 850mg LCF). I ramped up to those doses pretty much within a week and still don't have any side effects.

I do have bubbly urine with (what I think is) a sulfur-ish smell so maybe this could be a reason why? Do you know you need help methylating?

Actually the only side effects I've noticed since taking these supplements has been waking up in the night. I can fall back asleep but I now do so multiple times a night.

Adster

I take 300mg of taurine a day as of the past several months

You could consider trying a higher dose perhaps. 300mg wouldn't be enough to have any effect for me, I take at least 20times that amount, basically to gut tolerance. I have to take it during meals to tolerate that amount though, and you need to work up to that amount very slowly to see what you can handle. It boosts GABA or activates GABA receptors, as I understand it.

Aerose91

You could consider trying a higher dose perhaps. 300mg wouldn't be enough to have any effect for me, I take at least 20times that amount, basically to gut tolerance. I have to take it during meals to tolerate that amount though, and you need to work up to that amount very slowly to see what you can handle. It boosts GABA or activates GABA receptors, as I understand it.

Holy hell, u take 6000mg of taurine a day?

Adster

Holy hell, u take 6000mg of taurine a day?

Yep - a lot I know. It seemed to be the upper limit referenced for safe doses. Of course you'd want to be careful and talk with a doctor if you are considering it. It helps my sleep a lot and means I can take a lot of supps that would normally keep me awake and give me bad anxiety.