• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nitric Oxide, Peroxynitrite, and the Impairment of Mitochondrial Replication in CFS

zzz

@Gingergrrl , how are you doing with the gotu kola?

@Gingergrrl is currently on the Burnout Bench (not because of the gotu kola). However, I can answer some of your questions until she gets back.
How did you find gotu kola, it does sound like it is what you need.

I was the one who recommended gotu kola to @Gingergrrl. I had originally seen it in Dr. Jay Goldstein's writings, and was reminded about it when I saw it referenced here in a thread on ashwaghanda. When I read more about gotu kola, it sounded like a good supplement for me. It also sounded like it might do exactly what @Gingergrrl needed.
Where did you get yours, what brand?

I got the Organic India brand on Amazon, as it's highly recommended. It works extremely well for me. Unfortunately, when @Gingergrrl tried it, she found that she could not use it. I think I should leave any further explanation up to her.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl , how are you doing with the gotu kola?

@zzz was so kind to respond above and I don't have much to add. I was not allergic to the Gotu Kola (which was my initial fear) but one pill gave me nausea, vertigo, and some other side effects so I decided that for now, it is not for me. I do not tolerate a lot of meds/supps so it still very well may work great for you and/or your husband.

Violeta

@zzz was so kind to respond above and I don't have much to add. I was not allergic to the Gotu Kola (which was my initial fear) but one pill gave me nausea, vertigo, and some other side effects so I decided that for now, it is not for me. I do not tolerate a lot of meds/supps so it still very well may work great for you and/or your husband.

So sorry to hear that,@Gingergrrl. What a disappointment.

I am doing very well with the bacopa, and it seems to be working fine for my husband, too. From what I read about gotu kola, I thought that would be better for him than the bacopa. But since I had a bought a whole pound of bacopa, I thought I would try it for him, too.

The bacopa helped with energy within the first 24 hours of the first dose. Nothing has ever helped like that before. I've had so many days where I feel "normal". It's a strange feeling after being so tired for so long. I don't know if it will last or not.

pattismith

That is extremely interesting Joopiter76. So just to sum up the sequence of biochemical events you mentioned above:

NMDA receptor overstimulation

Too much calcium enters cells

Calcium binds to proteins in cells, and remains there

This means calcium-dependent NO-synthases produce more NO, and this uses up BH4

Both the above lead to raised peroxynitrite

This stimulates NMDA more, and lowers ATP by inhibiting the respiratory chain

This again leads to an increase in NMDA activity because NMDA is ATP dependent, so the vicious cycle continues.​

oups, I feel so lost with the Nitric Oxide cycle....Is NO good for ME or bad?

I have read studies about LPS inducing NO which can induce tinnitus (many of us are suffering from it)

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/arti...-as-the-etiological-mechanism-of-tinnitus.pdf

And on the other hand I read that some patients on PR improved with NO....

Have I missed something?:(

Violeta

oups, I feel so lost with the Nitric Oxide cycle....Is NO good for ME or bad?

I have read studies about LPS inducing NO which can induce tinnitus (many of us are suffering from it)

http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/arti...-as-the-etiological-mechanism-of-tinnitus.pdf

And on the other hand I read that some patients on PR improved with NO....

Have I missed something?:(
It's been a while since I've read this, but it depends on whether the NO is inside the cell or outside.