• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Night Sweats

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I guess I belong in some other category on that one.
I've always had hormones that were out of whack so that going through menopause pretty much felt like same old same old.

That and the bedroom I inhabit presently is an addition onto a bungalow and it doesn't get proper air-con like the rest of the house. So I can't cool the room.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the sweats will just stop soon. Though I won't take odds as to what other symptom might pop up in it's place.

Hope you find some way to be comfortable soon.

WoolPippi

Me too. I like it cold but I have to wear socks or my feet are so freezing I can't sleep.
since I have to lie and relax a lot during the day I started to knit my own (bed) socks. Love them!

Love the wool in general, it feels so natural and protecting and warm. I sleep on a woolen top, under a woolen blanket (sometimes 2 or 3), wearing my woolen bed socks and often wristwarmers too and sometimes even a woolen hat. In a cold room, just like you.

Wool nowadays can be so soft and luxurious, very good for wearing directly against the sensitive skin.
The repetitive motion of the knitting is soothing. And for every state of brainfog there's a matching knitting pattern ;)

But the night sweats.... I have no solution.
Every night I have them and they wake me up, in a state. It takes 1 hour or 1,5 hour for my body to cool down and relax again. Then, before I get too cold, there's a slot where I can fall asleep again. But it's never restorative sleep.

Mij

I used to to do a lot of knitting too, it is a very soothing hobby. Love the circular needles because you can just keep going and going and going . . . I still love looking through pattern books and beautiful yarns.

But now, just the thought of wearing any kind of wool despite the softness freaks me out.

Menopause, night sweats and cold chills/sweats I wear coolmax tops and covers. Even cotton absorbs the wetness so that's out. I feel as though I'm in a battle with my bed.

I place 2 bath sheets on top of each other on my mattress (which is a coolmax cover too) and just remove them as the night goes on. I get sweats during the day too. just miserable feeling.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I've always had hormones that were out of whack so that going through menopause pretty much felt like same old same old.

It's so interesting that your night sweats felt like menopause. The hot flushes that I get from menopause are so different from my night sweats. I used to get night sweats often in those first few years of illness but they are rare now.

The biggest difference for me is that hot flushes (flashes, whatever) make me feel warm and flushed. And there's only a little bit of sweating.

With night sweats I wake up feeling cold and clammy. And the amount of sweat soaks through my t-shirt, top sheet, and pillowcase. Sweating is mostly around my head, neck and upper chest. It wake up feeling like I had a high fever that just broke.

I don't know if my night sweats are due to virus, infection, autonomic problems, or what. No one ever diagnosed the cause.

Sorry to all who are still having night sweats! (or day sweats) :( I never found an answer other than getting up and changing my t-shirt, pillow case, etc. Towels were too uncomfortable for me to sleep on so I just kept extra t-shirts and pillow slips handy.

The only thing that ever helped a bit for me was pacing/resting. Doing "too much" (which varies, so it's hard to predict) made it more likely for the night sweats to happen. Which is why I thought that maybe, in my case, they were related to my dysautonomia issues.

FYI, while searching for "night sweats" and dysautonomia I found this article about POTS patients and new doctors:

http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=adc&doc=38900

I just thought it was interesting that they used "night sweats" as one of the five symptoms listed for a POTS patient. So I think it must be pretty common.

Thank you for all your suggestions.
I just realized i wrote that I have had this for a couple of weeks, I meant to say a couple of years!

Thanks @Kati
I'm not peri-menopausal I don't think, I've seen a gynecologist and my female hormones have been tested.
I do have some of those washable squares that I put on my mattress, under the fitted sheet to protect it. Maybe I will try putting one directly under me.
I do get shakes and chills as well but no fever. My temperature actually seems to be chronically a bit low.
I have had a ton of bloodwork done, as well as a brain MRI and multiple ultrasounds

I never considered food allergies @Inester7 but I will start tracking what i eat before bed to see if there is a pattern there.

I will definitely try the beach towels, thank you for the suggestion @taniaaust1 and @rosie26 !
I recently bought a low-cost microfiber bath towel at Target - I bet that would be less likely to get "swamped" than a regular cotton towel - also, cotton gets chilly when wet. Microfiber wicks nicely too...just an idea :)

P-Kat