• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Night Sweats

gettinbetter

Hello All

I have been having a lot of night sweats lately
I have been suffering with Cpn for a number of years and with the help of abx antibiotic protocol and natural remedies I am making progress
But the night sweats seem to be getting worse

Two questions
What causes this and is it the bodies way of trying to throw off toxins ?

I haven't ruled out the idea of other infections along with Cpn Chlamydia Pneumonia
But which ?

Thanks

taniaaust1

In my case Im sure many of my night sweats have been due to my body trying to fight a flare up of something bacterial/viral. I had lots of night sweats in my early ME years (I used to have them along with having an actual fever a lot of the time) which had lots of viral presentation. Nowdays I usually only get them (except when they are being caused via high adrenaline) when Im crashing and having some kind of viral flare up.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
@gettinbetter
I used to suffer from these severely. It was suggested to me by my ME doc that they were as a result of fluctuating blood sugar due to an excess of carbs, I reduced my carb intake by a lot and the night sweats have disappeared.

I thought it was a viral thing - of course further down the line it is but the disruption of our blood sugar regulator is just another symptom of infection.

A zombie

i use to get them. I think they are hormonally related. I believe estrogen dominance will cause night seats , as well as adrenal fatigue, as well as...
there are so many things. But i think top reasons for a woman would be a hormonal imbalance.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
There are so many possible causes of night sweats, everything from an infection to hypoglycemia to cancer.

One possible cause for ME/CFS patients could be some type of orthostatic intolerance (aka, Chronic Orthostatic Intolerance) such as POTS or NMH. A quick list of symptoms:
Defining symptoms of chronic orthostatic intolerance include dizziness in all patients, with high incidence of the following conditions:
  • Altered vision (blurred, "white outs", "black outs")
  • Fatigue
  • Exercise intolerance (frequently post-exercise malaise)
  • Nausea
  • Neurocognitive deficits
  • Sleep problems
  • Heat
  • Palpitations
A large proportion of patients also experience the following symptoms:
  • Headache
  • Tremulousness
  • Difficulty breathing or swallowing
  • Sweating
  • Pallor
  • Other vasomotor symptoms
These symptoms are divisible into symptoms of sympathetic activation and symptoms of reduced cerebral blood flow.

I used to get night sweats quite often, esp. during the first 4-5 years after I got sick. After I started treating my orthostatic intolerance (diagnosed by tilt table test) then these started to happen less often. Now I rarely get them.

Last edited:

Martial

I get it with Lyme all the time, its about the only time I ever sweat as well, other then that its very hard to even squeeze a drop out of me lol

*GG*

There are so many possible causes of night sweats, everything from an infection to hypoglycemia to cancer.

One possible cause for ME/CFS patients could be some type of orthostatic intolerance (aka, Chronic Orthostatic Intolerance) such as POTS or NMH. A quick list of symptoms:

I used to get night sweats quite often, esp. during the first 4-5 years after I got sick. After I started treating my orthostatic intolerance (diagnosed by tilt table test) then these started to happen less often. Now I rarely get them.

I think mine lasted up to 7 years, my hormones have only been treated in the last 2 years at most, been ill almost 11 years now. Think I am now getting more OI symptoms (about 1 year), hope to have a tilt table test done for my records soon, working on getting that squared away..

GG

Seven7

Seven
I thought mine was OI related (happens very little since my issue is that I cannot sweat at all), then I realized that it has to do with food allergy for me, when I eat something that I am allergic to it flares up. Example if I eat honey nuts cherios. The more the food has ingredients I am allergic to (I tested for it) the more I sweat. Another member posted it was food related, after I started paying attention what I ate and how soon I went to bed I found my triggers.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
@gettinbetter,

I should add that if night sweats is the only symptom, and there are no other symptoms of Orthostatic Intolerance (POTS/NMH), then it is likely to be something else.

It's hard to know what to suggest when only one symptom is listed. It's like someone posting about nausea and asking what is the cause. Some symptoms are very general so it's hard to know what might be the cause.

But I hope one of the options posted to this thread leads you to a diagnosis and treatment. Good luck!

gettinbetter

That's not all the symptoms I have
I believe I do have POTS when I used to practice Bikram Yoga there was a pose where you had to come straight up from the floor in the hot room ........ I always got so dizzy I had to take a break
I also have what feels like sharp jolts of "electricity" thru out my body when I get really fatigued
Also I can't tolerate elevation in some circumstances ,I feel tired and have insomnia
Others with Cpn don't share these symptoms
So what do you suppose I have in addition to Cpn?

Last edited:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
...So what do you suppose I have in addition to Cpn?

Hi @gettinbetter ,

I don't know anything about Cpn. I googled and it seems to mean that you have a Chlamydia pnemoniae infection. Is that right?

Here's hoping you find some help from a forum member who knows more about Cpn and whether it could be related to the autonomic system.

As for advice on diagnosing (or ruling out) POTS, it would be to try to find a doctor who knows something about dysautonomia and orthostatic intolerance. A cardiologist might be the way to go but note that many cardiologists don't know much about this topic. And it's a good idea to read about POTS/NMH/etc before you go to the doctor so you know what questions to ask.

Phoenix Rising has some web pages on this topic (used tinyurl to make a shorter link):
http://tinyurl.com/86j7ml7

A couple other web sites:

Dysautonomia Information Network:
http://www.dinet.org/

Vanderbilt Autonomic Dysfunction Center:
http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/root/vumc.php?site=adc&doc=38847

Sorry that I can't be more help!