• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nicotine helps my depression

actup

@cigana do you take any conventional anti-depressants and for how long a period have you been using the patches?
A relative ( 30 yoa) in my family has had treatment resistant depression since onset of me/cfs symptoms in adolescence. He takes Nardil ( maoi) which gives him approx 6 hours of depression relief per day. Those with this kind of depression have few options available to them. Thanks for posting the article.

Battery Muncher

I'm glad to hear that something is helping you.

Quite a few people on this forum, including myself, have found some relief from nicotine. I've found it helpful for depression, but also for a minor alleviation of our cognitive dysfunction.

rosie26

Definitely has helped me with depression but it can be over stimulating. Having been a long time user I am experiencing long term damage which I am feeling the scary affects of now. If you have not been a long term user it could be helpful.

Edit: I forgot this thread is about nicotine patches. I only tried them once and couldn't tolerate the constant nicotine taste in the mouth and nausea but I think that was because I used the highest strength which was far too much.

Rvanson

Nicotine seems to be a MAOI of sorts, which would explain why it is used by many people and tends
to be additive, in fact very much so. I have noticed in the past that many people with schizophrenia,
tended to be smokers as well. It would seem that it is used as an anodyne in many people as well.

I very much doubt that nicotine can be rendered non-additive, without resulting in a reduction in MAO inhibition. Perhaps vaping nicotine e-liquid would be of use, but even vaping nicotine is still addictive, although it would be
safer as far as lung capacity or the carcinogenic effects of tobacco use would be, IMO.

cigana

@cigana do you take any conventional anti-depressants and for how long a period have you been using the patches?
A relative ( 30 yoa) in my family has had treatment resistant depression since onset of me/cfs symptoms in adolescence. He takes Nardil ( maoi) which gives him approx 6 hours of depression relief per day. Those with this kind of depression have few options available to them. Thanks for posting the article.
No I do not take any conventional anti-depressants (I have tried many in the past though). The nicotine seems to work on its own. I've been using a patches for around 2months now, prior to that about 2weeks of nicotine gum, and prior to that about 3months using a nicotine vape. The nicotine gum was helpful but I found the vape and the patches better.
Thanks for the info on MAIO.

Rvanson

@Rvanson is it nicotine itself that acts as an maoi, or something else found within tobacco?

Skippa: It seems to be the nicotine. Its too bad that its
so addictive. The good news is that nicotine
alone in not considered to be carcinogenic.

Last edited:

Skippa

Anti-BS
That would explain why after every time I try to quit smoking, including when I vaped for a year first, when I hit the 2 week mark, all hell breaks loose and I lose the plot... that is when the maoi effects wear off... Was wondering why it still happened with nicotine only (vaping).

Self medicating indeed. Still, I've got my new vape kit ready for me to switch when I'm feeling brave!

rosie26

I have been thinking some more on this subject and just goes to show how hard giving up smoking is when the mind altering affects are so powerful. Very addictive. I think if anyone did try this for depression over a long period of time they would have to be aware when they stopped that they would feel terrible mentally - even more depressed perhaps.

I shouldn't recommend this as I kind of did in my first post above. Everyone needs to make their own decision about these things and I just thought I would add some more thoughts to this.

I've only just read your post @Skippa and I agree. Also when you first start to vape you will notice a sore mouth, throat and unpleasant taste in the mouth that will last for a week. Go very easy the first week, don't vape too much. Good luck with it and switching over.

Last edited:

hmnr asg

I also use nicotine gum to help with my OCD. It actually gives me a little boost that helps me focus better for short periods of time.
As for addictive properties, I read that gums/patches deliver low grade nicotine at a gradual pace and so you dont get the rush of a big nicotine puff that you'd get with cigs. As a result they are less addictive.
I can say that I have not felt addicted to my nicotine gums; but then again, I only take one or two in one day.