When the 'Holiday Season' Is No Holiday at all for Those With ME/CFS
Is December getting to you? Jody Smith shares some thoughts on some of the struggles that all too often attend this time of year ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Nicotinamide, NAD(P)(H), and Methyl-Group Homeostasis

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by adreno, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Int J Tryptophan Res. 2013; 6: 73–88.
    Published online Oct 15, 2013. doi: 10.4137/IJTR.S12838
    PMCID: PMC3825668
    Big Brains, Meat, Tuberculosis, and the Nicotinamide Switches: Co-Evolutionary Relationships with Modern Repercussions?
    Adrian C. Williams1 and Robin I.M. Dunbar2

Gondwanaland and adreno like this.
  2. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    @Little Bluestem Well it hasn't lasted but I do still use an oxygen concentrator 3 times daily for 30 minutes. I tend to use it after meals when I slump a bit or after a walk with my dog if necessary.

I was diagnosed by Breakspear in the UK with their basic autonomic testing. I had less than 50% of the normal oxygen in my cells when all I had to do was to take 6 breaths over one minute whilst lying down in order to stress my body.

Since then I have been diagnosed through Infectolab with lyme disease and Ehrlichia so this probably explains why I couldn't stay feeling better. I am not doing too badly but still have problems with energy running out everytime I do anything physical so I can only ever walk for a maximum of 30 minutes.

Little Bluestem likes this.
  3. Kimsie

Kimsie Senior Member

Hi Adreno,
    I will think about this article some more, but I do have a couple of comments right away. For one thing, the majority of the methyl groups in the body come from serine (which is synthesized from glucose) or glycine and so many are used every second in the body that the miniscule amount that a person takes when they take "methyl donors" is insignificant. The only thing I can find that can cause high SAMe levels is insufficient activity of glycine N-methyltransferase, which occurs in the liver.

As the mother of a person with schizophrenia, I have read many, many articles which try to pin schizophrenia on something that begins during pregnancy, and I just don't buy it. I have 4 children, and only one with schizophrenia, and during his pregnancy I ate more meat (but not a huge amount more) than I did during the other 3 which is the opposite of what this article suggests, and there was nothing else different during that pregnancy that could account for him having schizophrenia.

My research these last few days is centering on NAD synthesis and understanding the folate cycle, which is compartmentalized and has somewhat different enzymes in the matrix, cytosol and the nucleus (and liver), and so NMNT is one of the enzymes I am looking at. I think that these two processes and the interaction between them are major players in these illnesses and I am trying to get a handle on how they work together.

4. jepps

jepps Senior Member

Austria
    http://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-04-vitamin-aging.html

This supplement is available from Thorne http://uk.iherb.com/Thorne-Research-Niacel-Nicotinamide-Riboside-60-Veggie-Caps/57082 or supersmart http://www.supersmart.com/en--Anti-aging--Nicotinamide-Riboside-125-mg--0632

5. CCC

CCC Senior Member

I've had a bit of contact with metal illness in the pas few decades. While mental illness and spectrum disorders seem to run in families (so genetics and susceptibility is obviously involved), it is not the mother's fault.

I soooo hate it when they blame the mother.

6. heyitisjustin

heyitisjustin Senior Member

Have you heard of Wim Hof? His breathing method might help with your oxygen issue

See more popular forum discussions.