• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIAID funding to Jackson Laboratory researcher to investigate chronic fatigue syndrome

duncan

All for only $3.3 million.

Sorry I sound like a party-pooper. I listened to his audio, and the immune emphasis that Simon and Denise and others have highlighted is really exciting. This guy does sound pretty cool.

Maybe if he just dialed back the hyperbole...or I dialed back my cynicism...:rolleyes:

Tuha

Btw. the Cort´s article has the date Oct 20, 2014. In the article is written down "he’s interested in checking out Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – and now, armed with 50 samples from the SolveME/CFS Biobank, we have a new investigator in the field looking at people with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome using some of the hottest technology going."

So this means that he is studying ME/CFS already for a time. It would be good to know about his research with 50 samples from the SolveME/CFS Biobank. Maybe he found something interesting and now he got a new grant from NIAID - but I am only guessing. It would be nice to have more informations about all ME/CFS research.

Gemini

I find all this very interesting...

Very interesting indeed!

Jacques Banchereau is a co-author on the recently proclaimed Lupus study that used "molecular profiling" technologies, uncovering a disease activity biomarker and seven patient subgroups.

Time for us to brush up on "Personalized Immunomonitoring" technologies .....

www.cell.com/cell/fulltext/S0092-8674(16)30264-1

Vasha

Project Information - NIH RePORTER - NIH Research Portfolio Online Reporting Tools Expenditures and Results

Big cohort, detailed look at Natural Killer cells and T cell subsets, looks at long non-coding RNAs too

Our Specific Aims are:
1) To determine the frequencies of immune cell subsets in the blood of a clinically defined ME/CFS patient cohort;
2) To assess functional capacity of memory T cells, innate cells and the differentiation potential of naive T cells during ME/CFS; and
3) To determine the T cell and innate cell subset–specific gene and lncRNA transcripts in ME/CFS patient blood samples.

Our goal is to develop a detailed functional and genetic immunological framework that can be used to
i) decode the mechanisms of ME/CFS [hah, ambitious!] and
ii) to develop robust, quantitative immune-biomarker sets for predicting disease susceptibility, stratifying patients and guiding treatment strategies.

We have assembled a unique team of experts in human immunology, clinical ME/CFS biology for well-defined patient samples, non-coding RNAs, transcriptomics and bioinformatics, together will contribute to the deep and complimentary expertise necessary to bring about this goal.

This is exciting. Hope they have these ducks in a row:
1. That "clinically defined cohort" is robust and specific
2. but also big enough to get somewhere
3. coordination with other researchers

In any case, yay NIH!

-Vasha

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
They just gave this guy 1/2 the customary annual ME/CFS budget! Thanks NIH!

I listen to Doctor Radio which is run out of NYU Langone. The doctor hosts seem like they live in a culture which views what is known about health and illness to be but a small fraction of what is unknown. They seem to be rational good guys, rather than egotistical ass hats.

Really looking forward to seeing what they dig up.

Justin30

Why Duncan? Personalized medicine is one booming field. It doesn't mean quack.

Personalized medicine is required for this disease unfortunately what needs to happen is to find valid unfiorm biomarkers than expnd on the rest.

KATI along woth the Bateman Horne Center know this is the way to trea this disease.

In the US the most effective cancer treatment is personalized medicine.

Simon

New discussion from Cort, but he doesn't provide any new information here:
Major Researcher Gets Major Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) Grant
http://www.healthrising.org/forums/...r-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs-grant.4475/
But Cort is promising a new piece soon. His orginal article (mentioned above) on the Solve pilot that powered this new grant is here
HIV, Heart Disease, Diabetes... and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? The Unutmaz Project to Decode ME/CFS - Health Rising

Unumatz collected immune information on over a thousand patients with all sorts of disorders (including the fifty ME/CFS patients). Then he’s using a “systems biology approach” to understand at a detailed level how chronic inflammation translates into different disorders. He’s attempting to find an answer to a big question: what tips an underlying inflammatory state into chronic fatigue syndrome, or a cardiovascular disease, or diabetes, or cancer?

“This research project is so incredibly important because it enables us to understand what ME/CFS is and compared to what.”– Suzanne Vernon, Research Director, Solve ME/CFS

Cort said:
Unumatz is finishing up his work with the ME/CFS groups immune data. He hopes to generate good enough pilot data from the fifty ME/CFS patients to apply for a major NIH grant.
That paid off. Solve ME/CFS has a really impressive track record of funding researchers for pilot studies who go on to winbig grants using those results. For whatever reason, that just doesn't seem to play out in the UK with charity-funded pilot studies.

This is looking good.

Re personalised medicine, that's also Stepehn Holgate's approach with the Grand Challenge/MEGA approach: so many researchers seem to believe that we'll only crack mecfs by looking at individual details, not those of the broad group.

snowathlete

This is good news. Early signs of NIH beginning to follow through on their promise to fund more research, hopefully. Obviously we need a lot more, but let's hope there is more to come!

We need more immune research, there are answers waiting to be found there as well as diagnostic tests. This has improved my day.

Denise

They just gave this guy 1/2 the customary annual ME/CFS budget! Thanks NIH!

@Justin30 - the grant is for a total of five years. So the $3.3 million is spread out over that time period.
@Simon pulled the NIH project report details.
The 2016 amount is
"Project Funding Information for 2016:
Total Funding
: $652,055
Direct Costs: $384,944
Indirect Costs: $267,111"