• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NI(Northern Ireland)ME/CFS crisis/UK mainland too?

Abha

Abha
I had a follow up appointment re my Hypopituitarism/ ME?/CFS/mitochondrial issues a few days ago.I was unable to see my GP and instead I saw a young doctor.The consultants team whom I had seen recently re my Hypopituitarism treatment had referred me back to my GP re the ongoing symptoms/issues that i am still encountering.

On speaking to this young doctor(locum) she looked at me with a blank look on her face when I mentioned brain fog etc....so I then asked her if she knew about ME/CFS.Her reply was that she had never heard of it.That left me almost speechless.How in the 21C could a young doctor go through Medical School and know nothing about ME/CFS.

I have ongoing flu like symptoms(there for years but very annoying/draining),brain fog/gut problems and finding it more and more difficult to walk or to do anything.Isn't prevention better than the cure?....so why aren't the Medical Authorities/Government not doing anything about this.?

In the past 10 years or so I have written many letters to the various Health ministers here re how this is an organic illness/physiological one(not psychosomatic)(Professor Komaroff/Harvard said that many years ago)......and I should know because in the past(in the 70s/early 80s I was poisoned by my ongoing NHS treatment/under psychiatrists/GPs(antidepressants/other drugs...addicted to Ativan).Now there is seemingly no record of any of that saga from then.That is why I believe all Health Records/Mental otherwise should be kept in one's lifetime so that the same mistakes are not repeated.I believe(in 70s/80s) that I had what is now called "Treatment Resistant Depression(TRD)(due to my undiagnosed illness at that time)."

In 2012?I had to go back to a psychiatric clinic again(staffed mainly by locums)because of a bad sleep problem(wanted to try a certain drug that only psychiatrists can prescribe)....and the first thing that I was given was a sheet to sign.I guess this is to absolve the doctor from all blame re drugs prescribed.I believe today too that doctors no longer take their Hippocratic Oath.

In my case at one point my current GP wrote me a script for Lorazepam(ativan).I told her about my past(poor record keeping?) and that that drug in my case was addictive and left me fighting for my life(terrible!!!).None of the experts(consultants) could help me come off it safely....and they left it to a SHO who went on to poison me further(before breakdown stage)....

Dr Enlander too spoke about the physiological nature of this illness in the Lansdowne Hotel to an ME/CFS audience back in 2011/2012?.Prior to that I had written to MLAs/Health Minister/Northern Trust re Dr Enlander...about his Northern Irish connection....and his knowledge in this field.

Back then I believe I informed Joan Mc Parland and her Newry/Mourne ME/CFs group too re Dr Enlander and she subsequently invited him here....that was why they invited me to that Belfast Meeting.

There is another thread today?....about HOPE 4 for ME&Fibro(NI)...and I have read that Linda Tannenbaum(OMI/California) attended a meeting at Stormont.....Seemingly from that Meeting

Dr. Ian Clements, Chairperson of the Health and Social Care Board has confirmed, ALL 365 General Practitioner (GP) practises in Northern Ireland will receive new updated informative on ME and fibromyalgia, including biomedical research, confirming the very physical nature of the diseases. This decision was agreed, by DOH...

Back in 2012, Dr Enlander i'm sure met Government representatives/ME/CFS Groups.in NI......and he too stressed the Physiological aspect of this illness(Professors Komaroff/Behan/Gottfries and others likewise).....I'm sure much was promised by Government/Medical Hierarchy .....but nothing tangible was done.Will it be any different this time?In NI politics dominates everything and nothing can be done until the Politicians get Stormont running again.(if ever?)

Here too I dont know who is really in charge of my treatment moneywise....Is it my GP or is the Northern Trust?I inquired re that in the past but my question was never answered.I know that some GPs wish/want their practices to go Private.....so are they really interested in NHS patients?More and more locums seem to be employed here in GP practices and in the Mental health section.That in my opinion is a worrying sign as it is probably leading to a Private Health service and to one too where there is less responsibility for the welfare of the patient..The Irish Republic have had that for years(pay for everything) and are now talking about going back to FREE Healthcare in their system.

GPS/families should have to disclose if they have interests in Pharmacies/Old Peoples Homes...If they do then there is conflicting interests.

If the GPS hold the purse strings then they'll have no interest in testing for various viruses /abnormalities etc.It is much easier to push the antidepressants/other drugs...a win/win situation.....and a sicker patient in the final analysis!

It seems to me that young doctors need to be informed/taught about ME/CFS in Medical School so a big shake up is required there.Professor Gottfries(Sweden) seems to be well informed re nature of the illness and has good ideas re the future.(research).He suffers from fatigue himself and although elderly now I am sure he'd be delighted to advise on this illness.(future research).Dr Enlander(Mt Sinai/NY)/Professor Komaroff(Harvard)could be approached too..

Last edited: