• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NHS Tests.

Alice Band

PWME - ME by Ramsay
Knackered,

I recognise some of the tests that Dysautonomia listed but they were only done "by the luck of the draw" on being investigated by the right NHS person and at the right hospital. Some of there were done after an accident to investigate injuries and were refused to me for ME investigations. This would be the neurological tests (imaging).

For example QEEG is something I had done privately but I was told by an accident patient at Queen's Hospital that they offered it to him there. As Queen's hospital refused this to me and told me that ME was a psychiatric disease then there is a double standard.

Most of the test he listed I have only had done privately or been offered privately.

My experience is that not only are we refused testing on the NHS, the test results are also ignored by NHS doctors. One NHS Neurologist said that the neurological symptoms I had were meaningless and disregarded them. Private tests were also disregarded in the same way.

joyscobby

Test According to NICE Guidlines in UK

This was spoted by someone else and may help you. I do not know how useful these tests are but they are the ones that should be available on the NHS in line with the Guidlines.

Investigations recommended by the UK National Institute of Clinical Excellence to exclude medical causes of chronic fatigue.

Tests that should usually be done:
urinalysis for protein, blood and glucose
full blood count
urea and electrolytes
liver function
thyroid function
erythrocyte sedimentation rate or plasma viscosity
C-reactive protein
random blood glucose
serum creatinine
screening blood tests for gluten sensitivity
serum calcium
creatine kinase
assessment of serum ferritin levels (children and young people only).

Additional serology tests that should only be done if the history suggests the possibility of a recent infection:

chronic bacterial infections, such as borreliosis
chronic viral infections, such as HIV or hepatitis B or C
acute viral infections, such as infectious mononucleosis (use heterophile antibody tests)
latent infections, such as toxoplasmosis, Epstein-Barr virus or cytomegalovirus.

The following link is quite interesting, just trying to digest it too:
http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/pdf/CG53QuickRefGuide.pdf see page 8

Hope this helps,
joy