• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Newt Gingrich opinion piece - Double the NIH budget

Denise

Newt Gingrich believes the NIH budget should be double what it is:
"Double the N.I.H. Budget

By NEWT GINGRICH APRIL 22, 2015

MCLEAN, Va. — NO one who lived through the 1990s would have suspected that one day people would look back on the period as a golden age of bipartisan cooperation. But in some important ways, it was. Amid the policy fights that followed the Republican victories of 1994, President Bill Clinton and the new majorities in Congress reached one particularly good deal: doubling the budget for the National Institutes of Health. ...."

follow this link to read the entire piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/opinion/double-the-nih-budget.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

(I agree.)

*GG*

Newt Gingrich believes the NIH budget should be double what it is:
"Double the N.I.H. Budget

By NEWT GINGRICH APRIL 22, 2015

MCLEAN, Va. — NO one who lived through the 1990s would have suspected that one day people would look back on the period as a golden age of bipartisan cooperation. But in some important ways, it was. Amid the policy fights that followed the Republican victories of 1994, President Bill Clinton and the new majorities in Congress reached one particularly good deal: doubling the budget for the National Institutes of Health. ...."

follow this link to read the entire piece:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/22/opinion/double-the-nih-budget.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

(I agree.)

I'm not certain, lets cut the waste first, I think we just need to stop funding so much research on hay fever and male pattern baldness! We have 18 Trillion plus in debt, this is simply unsustainable!!

Our chickens are going to come home to roost, we need to stop this out of control debt and spending, or the little people are going to get hurt even worst, the 1% rich will be fine.

GG

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I don't have a clue about US politics or politicians but came across this and thought it would be of interest:

https://www.facebook.com/CFSDocumentary/posts/943731855657670

Forgotten Plague on FB said:
A important and powerful new op-ed from fiscal conservative Newt Gingrich proposes *doubling* the NIH budget in the United States. It's an important acknowledgement of what our disabled patients have been saying for decades, that a relatively small upfront public investment in scientific research now can ultimately save much larger sums of government money that would be spent on disability and health services for decades to come.

According to the former Speaker of the House:
"As a conservative myself, I’m often skeptical of government “investments.” But when it comes to breakthroughs that could cure — not just treat — the most expensive diseases, government is unique. It alone can bring the necessary resources to bear. (The federal government funds roughly a third of all medical research in the United States.) And it is ultimately on the hook for the costs of illness. It’s irresponsible and shortsighted, not prudent, to let financing for basic research dwindle."

http://www.nytimes.com/…/22/opin…/double-the-nih-budget.html

Last edited by a moderator:

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Seems like he's talking out both sides of his mouth. This was his position 6 months ago...
Newt Gingrich (Facebook Page)

Perhaps the Left should take a look at how the #NIH is spending their current budget—funding projects like rabbit massages—before making another claim that budget cuts have prevented NIH scientists from discovering a cure for #Ebola.

10359400_10152781083509197_2467377161245075709_n.jpg

Last edited:

Asa

Kudos for "research funding" and "research criticism" as topics of debate in the public dialogue. Maybe this will become the Right's healthcare lead?

Gingrich has 1.5 million followers on Twitter.

gingrich tweets.PNG

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Kudos for "research funding" and "research criticism" as topics of debate in the public dialogue. Maybe this will become the Right's healthcare lead?

Gingrich has 1.5 million followers on Twitter.

Regardless of which party (in any country) comes up with an argument for increasing health research funding, if it's a good argument, I'm all for it and for getting it airtime among voters. Good to see this issue being raised by someone high-profile at a national level.

jimells

Ole Newt is a has-been from 20 years ago. He had his fifteen minutes of fame with his horrible "Contract On America" while his buddy Bill Clinton was president. As a presidential candidate, he proven himself to be a first-class buffoon.

What's that you say? They're from two different branches of the Business Party? Well sure, but when it comes to helping Walmart, killing foreigners, and sticking it to working people everywhere, there's no disagreement except on tactics.

In the early 90s I lived in Northwest Arkansas, the corporate home of Walmart, and sometimes shopped at their flagship store in Springdale. Draped across the entrance was a huge banner proclaiming "Made in America!!!".

Not long after Clinton was promoted from Governor of Arkansas to King of the World, the "Made in America" banners were gone, along with the US factories that used to make stuff that working people need to live.

Sam Walton used an interesting technique to turn his regional chain into an international monster: he bought a bank and loaned himself the money to expand.