• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New twiv on xmrv

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
illsince1977, I hope you do not mind, but I thought since you gave a really good discription on how vaccines could have become contaminated, that I would repost your post under the thread "Are Vaccines Contaminated."

That's very kind of you to say, Mya, (or should I say Rebecca?). Thank you. I worked hard on getting that post together.

I was just trying to open it up for discussion since we were speculating on origins of XMRV. I take it that it strikes you as making some sense. I'd love to hear what forum participants who are more grounded in the science than I, of which you may be one, think. I have NO background in this, so don't take it as gospel. I'm struggling to understand the science. I was bringing it up as an addition to the TWIV mention of lab mice and also in the context of adding to and challenging George's model.

If you want to repost it, I would appreciate if it were in the context of asking for feedback as to whether or not it made any sense with the caveat that the author is unsure of her scientific understanding of the issue.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
This needs some updating in light of new information but I'm having problems finding the source of Vince's statement about 100% match with either XMRV or a PLMV in the 129 mouse strain. Anybody out there know where he got this from???

I'd really appreciate any links, I'm at a dead end tracing it. Thanks.

George,

I didn't see a response and I came back to this thread in trying to determine how to find the glycogag sequence out of the larger genome of sequenced XMRV samples for comparison to the referenced mouse strains.

The source is the PNAS article "Mouse retroviruses and chronic fatigue syndrome: Does X (or P) mark the spot?" and states "The glycogag leader of XMRV matches 100% of a polytropic endogenous sequence of the 129 1/SvJ laboratory mouse strain (accession no. AAHY01591888.1), a commonly used strain for gene knock-outs in embryonic stem cells. However, the glycogag/gag sequences reported by Lo et al. (6) best match endogenous polytropic sequences of the C57BL/6J laboratory strain of Mus musculus, with 99% nucleotide homology, and the env sequences share 97% homology with similar endogenous polytropic MLV and mink cell focus-forming viruses."

That accession number gives me a sequence identifier and figure 1B gives a nice graphic of where the region is relative to the other portions of the overall sequence so hopefully I can nail this down and see this for myself in BLAST.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
You are a nine day wonder Otis. Thank you so much! I've been so sick with swollen spine, neck and head that I haven't done anything recently. I hope to get back at it this week and clean up some of the old articles in light of all the new info. Plus I need to answer my e-mails. (grins) thank you for saving me some steps.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
George,

Happy to help. Here's to a good week!

Maybe I'll get my head wrapped around how to make comparisons of glycogag sequences.

Be well!
Otis

leaves

So sorry to hear you are not well :((
Feel better soon George!! Sending big hugs your way!!!:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: