Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New trial for couples with ME: partner to collude with therapist to ensure compliance

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Countrygirl, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Countrygirl

Countrygirl Senior Member

UK
    This is a worrying piece of research on a par with the new Shopping Bag Therapy from Bath...........just more dangerous and without the comical overtones.. Now the patient's nearest and dearest is to be trained to push the sick person into complying with the demands of the therapist.

It is a new twist on CBT therapy which apparently they must be finding inot terribly successful for a condition which has exteme tiredness as its main symptom. ( Not sure I actually recognise what condition that is supposed to be as I am only famiiar with ME..............I have a hunch though..............:D:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

Obviously they have drawn the conclusion that perhaps echos Alison Wearden's failed FINE trial, the sister of PACE, where 'the bastards don't want to get well,' Here they are planing to train the partner of the patient to collude with the therapist to ensure that the sick partner fulfils the requirements. It sounds like grounds for divorce to me.

https://www.ukctg.nihr.ac.uk/trials...offset%22%3A25%2C%22openurl%22%3A%22yes%22%7D

A couple-based psychological intervention for chronic fatigue syndrome

CFS_for_19_years and alkt like this.
  2. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    so basically your to ill to work you live in a household that depends on your partners income and they want your partner to take unpaid time of work so they can brainwash you with their outright bs .

3. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I'd be surprised if a majority of people disabled with CFS even have partners.

4. alkt

alkt Senior Member

uk
    probably not especially when we get it at a young age. but they will then do it to anyone who cares for you parent guardian etc you know how they like to infer that mothers prolong their childrens suffering with this disease . more bs

5. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I hope they've also included money to pay for therapy that will be needed to mend these relationships once the trial is over. It seems it will just add more stress to relationships that are already stressed enough due to dealing with ME.

alkt, hixxy, Diwi9 and 2 others like this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Umm, can anyone predict marriage break-ups from this?

alkt likes this.
  7. Intuition

Intuition Dance with ME

Melbourne, Australia
    Ugh. Every time I see CBT mentioned with CFS I just get so infuriated. Im sure there are a significant group of us who have secondary depression and CBT will help with that. But for the primary illness itself, hell no. I really wish investigators will stop reopening the psych casket.

alkt and Jackb23 like this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The problem is the CBT on offer for treating CFS and ME is not like the usual CBT. Classical CBT might help some ME patients cope better, but that is all its designed to do. It does not do miracles. The CBT claimed to treat ME is a claim to miracles, and a very different type, similar to that used to treat phobias.

alkt and IThinkImTurningJapanese like this.
  9. Runner5

Runner5 Senior Member

PNW
    So when they have the flu or strep throat or break their leg -- do they just call up their therapist to talk them through it? I want them to have 100% commitment to their BS.

alkt likes this.
  10. Diwi9

Diwi9 Senior Member

USA
    True, the premise is based on exposure therapy...because all of us ex-athletes suddenly developed maladaptive exercise avoidance o_O This is a ridiculous concept since we all know we overdo it and pay the price, but I suppose the consequences are explained away as false illness beliefs...we are an imaginative group. Psychology has an interesting way of neatly explaining things for which there is no evidence, and yet the explanations become dogmatic. Apparently, the more times something is repeatedly stated, the truer it is. And yes, I'm being facetious here.

alkt and Countrygirl like this.
  11. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Moderator

Japan
    That's it.

alkt likes this.
  12. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hence the idea of nonscience and psychobabble. When its argued as scientific its pseudoscience. However for clinical practice I am starting to call it psychoquackery.

alkt and Diwi9 like this.
  13. Sad Dad

Sad Dad

I feel sorry for the patients who are going to be participants. In the greater scheme of things, however, maybe if the patients actually have to do what their therapists tell them every day, it will prove CBT does more harm than good.

14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The PACE trial should have done that too. Instead the methodological choices led to results that are claimed to prove it is a wonder treatment, with up to 60% recovery according to the most extreme claims made about it. The real story is the patients got worse or did not improve, aside from maybe a very small minority. Also they have the fallback position of blaming the patients, because its obvious they did not try hard enough.

Now a less biased trial that proves it does not work ... try the FINE trial. Yet we almost never hear about that.

alkt likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.