Choline on the Brain? A Guide to Choline in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
http://phoenixrising.me/research-2/the-brain-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-mecfs/choline-on-the-brain-a-guide-to-choline-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-by-cort-johnson-aug-2005
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New Treatment for Schizophrenia?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by natasa778, Jul 1, 2013.

1. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

thanks! that's great to hear... Quercetin & Mangosteen work best for me, but I like Azelastine, too

mermaid likes this.
  2. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    @ebethc just getting my head round the whole histamine concept so very new to it - I take Quercetin and heard of Mangosteen yesterday but not Azelstine so will now look this one up!

I personally prefer to use non pharmaceuticals myself actually but that little bit of info re the newer antihistamines could be useful to know - I thought I might need to take something stronger if I was in hospital for example. e.g. Apparently the dyes they use for some tests can be problematic or some drugs upset me badly re what I now know are histamine issues!

3. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

yes, I've found that non-pharma works better for me, but I will def use anything to feel better!

I don't know what Azelastine is called in the UK; you'll have to look it up... I also like Singulair (generic = montelukast) for allergy symptoms

mermaid likes this.
  4. redo

redo Senior Member

Did you try famotidine?

I have emotional flatness and anhedonia as well. Well, all the feeling isn't gone, but it's like where there once was a glass of water, there is now only a drop. Same goes for the feeling in the skin. My whole body is really numb, from top to toe.

In more than a decade of illness I have experienced only a few days were I could feel somewhat normally. One of those were when I was taking high doses of minocycline. Which tells me my anhedonia isn't permanent damage to my nervous system.

I don't have the other symptoms in your post, though. I have a massive drive, so there aren't any hints of lack of motivation.

I know of another ME/CFS patient who also have anhedonia and got so much better from the antihistamine Phenergan. It didn't work for me, just mentioning it.

I know it's an old thread, but I'm guessing your still struggling with anhedonia. But if you're not, then please do let me know what worked for you.

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I did try famotidine in 2013, but only for a few days. I took famotidine 60 mg daily, and although there was one occasion where I thought it may have boosted my emotions, after two days taking it I developed this extremely vague mental state (not the regular brain fog, just a very vague and a not very aware mental state). So I stopped taking it, and have not tried it again.

Famotidine is known to confusion and disorientation as a side effect, especially in the elderly:

Famotidine-associated mental confusion in elderly patients
    Famotidine-associated mental status changes

So possibly my extremely vague state was a manifestation or a variation of this known side effect.

Minocycline reduces brain inflammation and microglial activation (see this post), so that might be why it worked. Quite a few mental health conditions and mental symptoms have been linked to chronic brain inflammation.

That's very interesting. Apparently Phenergan (promethazine) is in the class of drugs called phenothiazines, which are mostly antipsychotics. So perhaps Phenergan has an anti-anhedonia effect via some sort of mild antipsychotic action (remember that anhedonia is found as a symptom in both depression and in schizophrenia).

Unfortunately I have not really found any magic cures so far for either my anhedonia or emotional flatness. I listed some supplements that I found have mild benefits in this post, but these benefits are too small to be of much help.

redo and Abha like this.
  6. redo

redo Senior Member

Thank you for the links, and thank you for your post.

I thought the same as you. Perhaps Phenergan helped that patient because of its antipsychotic effect. And the antihistamine Alimemazine is structurally related to an antipsychotic. So, perhaps it's just an antipsychotic effect.

So I've actually asked my doctor to give that a try. Reluctantly she helped out, and the drug did nothing. Nothing but make me dulled, like everyone gets. I tried it for an extended period to be absolutely sure I got an effect if the drug was supposed to work.

At least for me such effects is not what's helping. But anyways, this information about the histaminergic system has made me curious of whether anhedonia can be a result of a the mast cells misfiring.

It's in the central nervous system, so if the drug don't cross the blood–brain barrier, then the drug won't help. Which in turn makes serendipitous discoveries of drugs that work less likely.

And a malfunctioning histamine system can tamper with the release of neurotransmittors.

So, maybe, just maybe, this could be at the core of ME/CFS anhedonia. I have made a post about it here, trying to sort my thoughts on why a malfunctioning histaminergic system could be at the core of ME/CFS.

See more popular forum discussions.