• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New thoughts on ME/CFS and Endometriosis? Autoimmune hypotheses?ty?

OverTheHills

Is anyone aware of any recent research on the autoimmune hypothesis for endometriosis? Given recent developments with Rituximab in ME/CFS it is even more baffling to me that the apparently strong association between these two 'perhaps autoimmune' conditions has not sparked increased research interest. Here's a couple of snippets:

A research team from the Endometriosis Association in Milwaukee; the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Bethesda Maryland; and the School of Public Health and Health Services at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., carried out and analyzed a survey of 3,680 members of the Endometriosis Association who had endometriosis. They found that among these women:

20 percent had more than one other disease

up to 31 percent of those with co-existing diseases had also been diagnosed with either fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue syndrome and some of these had other autoimmune or endocrine disease

chronic fatigue syndrome was more than a hundred times more common [in patients with endometriosis] than in the female U.S. population generally

From the Endometriosis Association website (sound familiar?): .
our work has shown that endometriosis is not simply a matter of misplaced endometrial tissue. In the new picture of the disease that is emerging, one sees not only the traditional symptoms of endometriosis—chronic pelvic pain, pain with sex, gastrointestinal and bladder problems, infertility, and others—but also high rates of atopic (allergic) diseases in the individuals and their families including allergies, food intolerances, asthma, eczema, and sometimes debilitating sensitivities to environmental chemicals such as perfumes, cigarette smoke, cleaning agents, and others; a tendency to infections and mononucleosis; problems with Candida albicans; mitral valve prolapse; fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue immune dysfunction syndrome. Moreover, studies suggest that women with endometriosis may be at greater risk for autoimmune disorders including lupus, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, and certain cancers.

But I think both of these are quite old. Any researchy types got any more recent news? .
OTH

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
My sister has endometriosis and some signs of autoimmunity too, such as high Anti-Nuclear-Antibodies, but nothing specific. I strongly suspect that at least some forms of endometriosis are an autoimmune condition.