• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New symptoms or relapse/crash??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I have had a few dodgy weeks with increased brain fog, headaches with increased blood pressure and sometimes pulse rate. I do have a good cfs doc but can only get into see him every 3 months or so. The rest of the time its being my own doctor or trying to educate a GP about cfs/me.

At first i thought i may have been having a relapse and then when my bp and pulse were all over the place i was thinking i was starting to get hypertensive POTS. I know pots can be very disabling so was not really happy that i was going to have to deal with this. I think most cfs/me people have some form of orthostatic intolerance and tired but wired types like me do have increased noradrenaline which could cause hypertensive POTS. The next thing that crossed my mind was dhea which i had started 3-4 weeks ago may have been over stimulating me and causing my symptoms, dropping the dhea eased symptoms slightly and im not convinced yet that its the cause, maybe exacerbating my hypertension.

While i was at work today with my head throbbing, i had a light bulb moment some how through the fog, maybe like a light house, lol. I realised my face, especially my forehead and around my eyes were aching. I then remembered how when i took sudafed a week ago how it relieved my headaches which shouldnt happen if bp is high. The light bulb moment was a repeat of my sinus infection from the start of the year that took several months to work out, as symptoms arent that different to cfs symptoms. When i was at work i phoned my wife to fill a script i had for abx as well as an abx nasal cream i had from last time, a few months ago now.

What was interesting was when i got home i took my bp 162/102 pulse 102, head was throbbing like a b___h. I then used a sinus spray that helps to open them up and relieve the pressure, i gave it an hour and took my bp again 140/90 pulse 90, still had a headache but not as bad, mm i think i worked out what my problem is. I then smashed down my abx and stuffed my nose with the abx nasal cream, dam i hope im right! Looking back it is very similar to the beginning of the year when i had a sinus infection, same head pain, same strange sleep problems where i wake every 2 hours etc very much like a worsening of cfs symptoms. Many sinus infection u dont get a runny nose and i havent had one, right now after opeing up my sinuses with a spray im now starting to get a trickle of yuk out of my nose, so probably really jammed up, especially to increase my bp from its normal 125/ to 160/-.

If everything pans out ok with abx and i get over this sinus issue, i will look at trialling dhea again as it did help energy, but this time i will keep an eye on my bp just in case.

Like most people with cfs/me, we are mostly navigating through this illness on our own and its hard to tell whats causing certain symptoms and also many of us do the same thing with treatments where its trial and error. if the medical community were switched onto cfs issues, this wouldnt be as bigger problem as we find now. We have to educate ourselves because not many others can help us, we then have to be careful not to sound to smart about our condition or wessely types will say we have an illness belief which is crap, its just that the only people out there that can help us is ourselves mostly, with some assistance from a few good doctors out there which are hard to find for many.

If i still feel like crap in a weeks time, we will see what diagnoses i come up with then??????

cheers!!!
Dr Heaps

taniaaust1

Like most people with cfs/me, we are mostly navigating through this illness on our own and its hard to tell whats causing certain symptoms and also many of us do the same thing with treatments where its trial and error. if the medical community were switched onto cfs issues, this wouldnt be as bigger problem as we find now.

I personally think that even if all the doctors knew about this illness like we do, it would currently still be a huge case of trial and error going on. I cant imagine that changing fast even if they decided they were going to start teaching doctors properly about ME/CFS in medical schools.
Its just our symptoms even in one individual can vary soo much. I think a person may also become affected differently over time with disease progression (I have had a clear progression in certain ways).

I hope it is only that for you heaps.. thou i havent heard of sinus issue putting ones BP up high before.
best luck

heapsreal

I personally think that even if all the doctors knew about this illness like we do, it would currently still be a huge case of trial and error going on. I cant imagine that changing fast even if they decided they were going to start teaching doctors properly about ME/CFS in medical schools.
Its just our symptoms even in one individual can vary soo much. I think a person may also become affected differently over time with disease progression (I have had a clear progression in certain ways).

Your probably right Tania. I think to have a good cfs doc, he is going to have to have been working with cfs patients for along time as well, experience counts alot.

Blood pressure can increase with sinus infections, i think it depends how jammed packed they are with muk. Symptoms and BP tend to ease when i use a sinus spray as it opens the sinus passages and relieves the pressure, but these sprays are not recomended for regular use as they say they can cause a rebound effect if used more then 3 days in a row. Today i went as long as i could but my head was throbbing, within 10-15mins of using the spray it eased significantly, so hopefully im barking up the right tree. Last time it took a few days before the abx started helping and 2 full weeks to clear the infection, plus lots of saline nose sprays. BP is something im going to have to keep an eye on.

New or different symptoms are hard to tell if its cfs worsening or another condition and like many cfsers, when they go to there drs they get overlooked as just cfs symptoms without be assessed fully. Sometimes i think its best to say nothing about cfs and just mention current new symptoms , then they seem to persue it more fully. SO i have my cfs doc and another gp who i can see more often if need be who believes in cfs but knowledge is limited but helps me with unrelated stuff, sometimes like recently i couldnt get in to see either of them so tried my luck with some buff head. This experience made me think of how hard it is to find good doctors

cheers!!!

heapsreal

Been on abx(doxy , azithro and bactrum nasal cream) for a few days now and feeling better, headache and facial pain from sinuses has definately eased and BP has come down some too.

cheers!!!