• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Symptom - Bulging Veins?!

JaimeS

...I think my brain just gave up @Eeyore. I just looked up DIC and saw another biochemical flow chart and had a NOPENOPENOPE moment of cognitive dissonance where my inner five-year-old threw up her hands and asked, WHY MUST I KNOW ALL THE THINGS?

Nopenopenope done.

LOL, 3/4 joking but I am done for now. I'll be back once I've assimilated...

-J

out2lunch

Terry's Naturally Healthy Feet & Nerves has really helped me with this one. :) This was my first symptom, and the first supplement I started taking - pins and needles feeling returns abruptly if I miss a dose, and there are... biological signs if it's getting too low.
There are a couple of items in your many posts I'd like to address, but I'll start with this one first.

I checked the ingredients for this product and found it contains benfotiamine. Have you ever tried benfo straight up by itself at a higher dose? I take Doctor's Best Benfotiamine 300mg each day, and it's about the only thing that helps with my peripheral neuropathy. Neurologists prescribe it for diabetic neuropathy, small fiber sensory neuropathy, etc. Mine was from Guillain-Barre I had two years ago. I took 600 mg daily during the acute phase of GBS. Worked well enough that I didn't need drugs like Lyrica to get me through the night. The neuropathy didn't resolve completely; Dr Jaradeh @ Stanford said it most likely never will. But taking the 300mg of benfo each day allows me to ignore it 98% of the time.

Regarding your bulging veins… I have the same problem, which was greatly magnified during the GBS. At that time, if I let my hands hang down at my sides, not only would the veins bulge excessively, but my hands would turn bright red and throb with a dull ache. If I raised my hands up to my heart level or higher, all of those symptoms would disappear, quite quickly. (I was doing Stupid Human Tricks for all of my family and friends, showing them my bright lobster red hands blanching to beige in 2 seconds.) Dr Jaradeh said this was the effect of the infection on my nervous system, affecting their ability to regulate blood flow. The bright red hands problem and throbbing disappeared when the GBS resolved, but not the bulging veins. Like with the mild neuropathy, he said this most likely wouldn't fully resolve, either.

One thing that no one else has mentioned, is that you've recently started working, which I assume you're doing on a computer. The fact that these problems are hitting you in the evening sounds like myofascial tightness from keyboard use might be playing a role.

I have chronic myofascial pain syndrome, and have to do specific stretching exercises and trigger point massage throughout the day or my goose is cooked with unbelievable pain, especially in the thoracic outlet and "coat hanger" region of the upper back and neck. And sitting on the computer makes this problem 1000 times worse!

Are you familiar with the "red books" of Dr. Travell and Dr. Simons: http://www.amazon.com/Travell-Simons-Myofascial-Pain-Dysfunction/dp/0683307711. Really sucks how expensive they've become. (I bought mine over a decade ago when they were much cheaper.) But they are an amazing asset! I live by these books for dealing with myofascial spasms and trigger points. They're a terrific resource for specific muscles, describing pain patterns, referred pain locations, how the stretch, what postures and motions to avoid, etc.

Some other practitioners have trained with these two doctors and written their own books, like Claire Davies. This one is an excellent book for the most common trigger points: http://www.amazon.com/Trigger-Point-Therapy-Workbook-Self-Treatment/dp/1608824942. I usually turn to it first if the muscle in question is mentioned in the book. I highly recommend it.

I've had several physical therapists over the years for my thoracic outlet problems, and they've all given me the wagging finger for not being more conscientious with my desk ergonomics and computer posture. Many of us here on the boards have problems with myofascial weirdness, and typing on a computer keyboard simply amplifies it. I would highly recommend getting one of these trigger point resources and faithfully do the stretches they recommend. You might see your bulging vein problems diminish, as a result.

JaimeS

Have you ever tried benfo straight up by itself at a higher dose? I take Doctor's Best Benfotiamine 300mg each day,

Wow.

Since the blend also contains B-Vitamins, I'm more cautious. I end up having taken about 50mg per day, 75mg on days when I need it in the evening as well. If I take more than this, it hypes me; but that could be because of the other B-Vitamin-ish things.

The neuropathy didn't resolve completely

Yeah, mine started when I injured my back (I always feel like a little old lady when I say this: I was twenty-nine!) I herniated L4-5. Ever since then, sciatic nerve issues that started out severe, partially resolved with PT but are never fully under control without the Benfotiamine, and sometimes not even then. But honestly, usually it's okay.

Dr Jaradeh said this was the effect of the infection on my nervous system

...We'll see what Dr De Meirlier says about infection. Three months since my original appointment and counting... :cry:

describing pain patterns, referred pain locations, how the stretch, what postures and motions to avoid, etc.

Sounds awesome, thank you!

*looks stuff up*

WHOA THAT'S EXPENSIVE.:eek::eek::eek:

I've tried doing my own exercises to avoid getting all wound tight at the computer, but it's all very haphazard and ill-informed. Currently, stopping every now and again for leglifts, with a supportive yoga brick.

Because.

Some other practitioners have trained with these two doctors and written their own books, like Claire Davies.

That is... less expensive. Thank you!

-J