• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New study - 8 SNPS corresponding to CFS/ME symptoms

Mary

Moderator Resource

Valentijn

MTDNA, especially the parts discussed in the recent research paper, is pretty much identical for everyone with the same haplogroup. Similarities simply mean that everyone is of European extraction in their maternal line. We don't have any increase in rare haplogroups, and when matched with controls from the same haplogroups our MTDNA SNPs are pretty much entirely identical.

Also, for many of the SNPs, it's the more common allele which was found to be associated with the more severe symptoms in some categories. So it's to be expected that a lot of ME/CFS patients would have both those symptoms and those alleles.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what you'd want me to look for. There might be ways to "help out" genes with presumed dysfunctional SNPs on them, but that's going to vary depending on which genes are involved for each person.