• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Scientst 03 Nov 2017 - Blood cells in chronic fatigue syndrome are drained of energy

RogerBlack

https://www.newscientist.com/article/blood-cells-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-drained-energy/

Thirteen years ago, Cara Tomas was rendered bedbound with chronic fatigue syndrome. It came on suddenly, she says, without warning signs. Even now she has good days and bad days due to the lingering effects of the disease. “A lot of people dismiss it as a psychological disease, which is a big frustration,” she says.

Tomas knows more about CFS than most. A PhD student at Newcastle University in the UK, she has just published a paper demonstrating that white blood cells in people with the disease are as listless as the people themselves often feel. “Now we’ve shown there’s a physiological difference, it could explain the whole-body fatigue shown by patients,” she says.

The finding adds to mounting evidence that the disorder has a biological explanation, and raises the prospects for new treatments and diagnostic tests.

Article reprinted free at http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...drome-are-drained-of-energy-04-november-2017/

SilverbladeTE

GOod :)
but "mounting evidence"...what HORSE CRAP!
the evidence for our illness' reality goes back 60 years and has been wilfully denied, we must NOT let this be forgotten, it's a mechanism by which criminals will try to evade condemnation by the Public and thus prosecution, don't ever let them away with it

RogerBlack

criminals will try to evade condemnation by the Public and thus prosecution, don't ever let them away with it

Or they can avoid prosecution by it not actually being a crime.
It is not a crime to be aggressively wrong.

Pretty much the only case in which they could face criminal sanction is if they are found to (for example) have performed harmful treatment directly, and then come out and said 'I did it because I hate the patients'.
It is not a crime in general for scientists to be bad scientists, or even to lie and misrepresent their work. (It may be fraud if they are misleading funding bodies).

While we might wish pushing aggressively the BPS agenda in the face of the evidence to be a crime, it's not. 'But I really believed in the BPS model' is pretty much a complete defence.

Note that Wakefield, who has caused thousands of deaths due to his claims around autism dropping vaccination rates has not faced any criminal prosecution.