• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Research Provides Images of Brain Dysfunction in ill Gulf War Veterans

Ember

Monday, June 18, 2012

By Anthony Hardie, 91outcomes.com

http://www.91outcomes.com/2012/06/new-research-provides-images-of-brain.html

The research results show that Gulf War veterans with CMP are significantly more sensitive to heat pain than healthy Gulf War veteran controls, and fMRI images provide objective confirmation of this. And, this hypersensitivity to heat pain is magnified following exercise in the Gulf War veterans with CMP, in some cases as much as tripling. For the healthy Gulf War veterans, sensitivity to heat pain did not change relative to before and after exercise.

taniaaust1

Interestingly, Dr. Cook’s research has shown Gulf War veterans with CMP show excessive pain sensitivity to one type of painful stimuli -- heat pain -- but not to another, pressure pain. According to Dr. Cook, the body of fibromyalgia research shows fibromyalgia (FM) patients have hypersensitivity to both heat pain and pressure pain, an important difference between the two groups.

and Id personsally think that in MEwould be different in some then to those two groups findings. With some who also have FM showing the FM findings but others possibly showing a less heat pain sensation then a control group would. (I say that due to my own experience of loosing all ability to feel hot water at times.. rather like MS findings.. would ME be closer to those in general or not?) ...

Its good to see that not only a control group was used but also different illnesses being compared together.