• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Research on Fungus/Mold

leela

Interesting article regarding the way fungi and molds evade the immune system. I hope this means that soon there will be an effective treatment.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/08/100819141113.htm

Smart Fungus Disarms Plant, Animal and Human Immunity

ScienceDaily (Aug. 20, 2010) Fungal and bacterial pathogens are quite capable of infecting plants, animals and humans despite their immune systems. Fungi penetrate leafs, stalks and roots, or skin, intestines and lungs, to infect their hosts. Researchers from Wageningen UR (University & Research centre) discovered, together with Japanese colleagues, how this is possible. They found that the fungus secretes a protein that makes stray building blocks of the fungal cell wall invisible for the immune system of the plant, such that infection remains unnoticed.
They report their findings in the Aug. 20 issue of the journal Science.
Fungi prepare their attack, for instance on a tomato plant, rather well. Take for example the fungus Cladosporium fulvum that causes leaf mould on tomato plants. Once the fungus starts to infect, the tomato plant would recognize the fungus based on the presence of chitin fragments that are derived from the fungal cell wall. Chitin does not naturally occur in plants, but chitin fragments can always be found near fungi, just like cat hairs betray a cat's presence. The tomato immune system recognizes the chitin fragments as "non-self and unwanted" and alarms the immune system to combat the infection. So far so good.
However, Cladosporium fulvum as well as nearly all other fungi carry a secret weapon. A team of researchers under the supervision of plant pathologist Bart Thomma discovered that the fungus secretes the protein Ecp6 during host attack. Ecp6 is the code name for 'extracellular protein 6'. Ecp6 finds the chitin fragments that surround the fungus and binds them. This binding makes the chitin fragments invisible for the tomato plant, like a stealth-jet is invisible for radar, such that the immune system is not alarmed. As a result the plant gets diseased. Animal and human fungal pathogens also produce the protein, and are likely to disarm the immune system of their hosts in a similar way.
From experiments that the researchers performed to investigate the role of Ecp6, it appears that a fungus that does not produce Ecp6 is much less aggressive and less capable of causing disease in tomato plants.
Since not only Cladosporium but nearly all fungi, including pathogens of humans and animals, have Ecp6, the binding of chitin fragments appears a general strategy of fungi to evade the immune system of their hosts.
This knowledge may enable scientists to design novel methods to combat fungal diseases in agriculture (leaf mould, root and stalk rot, smut, wilt disease, apple scab, rust, tree cancer) and in health care (dandruff, athlete's foot, candida-infections, aspergillosis, etc.).

Thanks for posting this!

I do not know whether I have XMRV, although it seems likely. The one thing I may be sure of is having a systemic mycosis and allmost kills me everytime I try to fight it with minimal doses of antifungals. It is truely ridicolous how much fungal infections get ignored by the medical system, and it certainly should get more attention in the context of CFS.

Just look at this picture:
http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx10/Oliver25/Hautbilder/Photo0090.jpg

This is a fungus that has been going on for 20(!!!) years, yet its status is in question. It will go away on nystatin, azoles, terbinafine, GKE or tee tree oil. It will not react to antibacterial agents and it will get worse on steroids or antihistamines. Yet, after successful treatment it will always return within 1-3 months. And it would come back within 24h if I start treating another local mycosis, so that I am actually shifting it back and forth. Under the microscope there are spores and "meat balls" visible. But 15 (or so) cultures have all been negative. Over years it remained impossible to find out what fungus it is. And this is an obvious infection, you dont really need to search for it.

Now guess what if a mycosis is internal only - that one will never be identified! The funny thing is however that doctors believe systemic infections would only appear in deadly sick patients. These infections are namely found only, but oftenly during autopsies. So its widely accepted that they can be lethal, but they get hardly ever treated when the patient is still alive - because they can not be found. This is quite ironic, because eventually they would turn it all aroung. If you tell a doctor you believe to have a systemic mycosis, he would tell you that is impossible beacuse you would probably be dead. So, no need for treatment as long as you are alive, and if you are dead, well... ;-)