Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New molecule BX795 clears latent HSV-1 from cultured infected cells

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Wonkmonk, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    "[A] small drug molecule called BX795, which is sold to labs for use in experiments, helped clear HSV-1 infection in cultured human corneal cells, in donated human corneas, and in the corneas of mice infected with HSV-1. [...] Additionally, the concentration of BX795 needed to clear HSV-1 infection is quite low. We saw clearance of the virus at concentrations of BX795 that were five times lower than concentrations of antiviral compounds in available nucleoside analogs, Shukla said. [...] Because BX795 targets a common pathway that many viruses use to replicate inside the cell, it could be a new kind of broad-spectrum antiviral that might be used to treat other viral infections. [...] Because of BX795's low toxicity, it has a great potential for systemic use as well as topical application."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/02/180215110339.htm

Sancar, Hip, junkcrap50 and 4 others like this.
  2. BadBadBear

BadBadBear Senior Member

Rocky Mountains
    Wow! That would be an amazing advancement, esp. if its truly not very toxic. Good article, @Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk likes this.
  3. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    That is great news if usable by humans!

4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

BX795 is also a PDK1 inhibitor, which might be useful in ME/CFS given, that Fluge and Mella found significant upregulation of PDK1, PDK2, and PDK4 in PBMCs from ME/CFS patients.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I believe it's a "different" PDK1, namely, phosphoinositide-dependent kinase-1.

Hip likes this.
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Ah right, well spotted. I'll strike out my above comment to prevent any misunderstanding.

Wonkmonk and BadBadBear like this.
  7. Wonkmonk

Wonkmonk Senior Member

Germany
    Sidny likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.