• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New mental disorder

Andrew

There is a new mental disorder for patients who are sick for six months or more, and who are not as complacent about it as the doctor thinks appropriate. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-gone-press-containing-major-scientific-gaffe

This all reminds me of the time I was very ill and the doctor told me he wanted to evaluate me for depression. I started laughing. He became defensive and said "We need to be thorough." I said "Then why don't you take my temperature." He did. It was 101 degrees. He said, "Oh, well, maybe you have an infection."

BTW, this new mental disorder is the same one Suzy Chapman has been warning us about for some time now.

Andrew

I explained this new disorder very poorly. I've been trying to change my first message to be a better reflection, but I'm not doing a good job. Better for you to read the article.

liquid sky

Criteria #1: disproportionate thoughts about the seriousness of their symptom(s);
Criteria #2: a high level of anxiety about their symptoms or health; or
Criteria #3: devoting excessive time and energy to their symptoms or health concerns.

These are the 3 criteria for this mental disorder. They seem to all say the same thing to me. It appears to be a way to control those patients that doctors find difficult to deal with. It could fit a person with an unexplained illness a well as someone who is trying to follow a healthy lifestyle.

What it will do is provide a cozy nook to place all the patients for whom the doctor has no real answers. What will be the treatment? No doubt, CBT, GET and antidepressants. Yay!

SOC

Criteria #1: disproportionate thoughts about the seriousness of their symptom(s);
Criteria #2: a high level of anxiety about their symptoms or health; or
Criteria #3: devoting excessive time and energy to their symptoms or health concerns.

These are the 3 criteria for this mental disorder. They seem to all say the same thing to me. It appears to be a way to control those patients that doctors find difficult to deal with. It could fit a person with an unexplained illness a well as someone who is trying to follow a healthy lifestyle.

What it will do is provide a cozy nook to place all the patients for whom the doctor has no real answers. What will be the treatment? No doubt, CBT, GET and antidepressants. Yay!

Nice the way there's no clear evaluation so any doc can label any difficult patient as mentally ill. Who decides what is "excessive", "disproportionate", or "a high level"?