• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Member? Differences in Methylfolates?

I will have to post my results on here, but the past week I started doing some methylation. I did find out that I need methylfolate, I believe. I was advised to by another member here, tdog, to get that. He told me to get one brand of methylfolate, but then I was able to get the jarrow kind through a deal I got on my amazon prime. Also, then I got the mb12 1,000mcg through jarrow.

Now, I have noticed that I like the mb12, and I feel it can make me sleepy actually. I have been taking 500 mcg of it 3x a day the past couple days. I am wondering if I should take it later in the day, and before bed.

However, I really wanted to pin-point where some anxiety and major cortisol issues have come into play the past couple days, causing me to do crazy things! I already have major anxiety issues, and this is not good. I was doing pretty good in controlling it, and now this. (I am more calm right now, did 500 mcg of mb12 after drinking some tea this morning.)

Is there a difference between these methylfolates? I was reading about different isomers? I was wondering if I am taking the wrong methylfolate. I got crazy last night after popping in 400 mcg of folate.

Brand I have now:
(I know we need both, but I am thinking of just doing the mb12 this week, and then try again with the methylfolate.)
Jarrow Methylfolate -

Folate (as Quatrefolic (6S)-5-methyltetrahydrofolic acid glucosamine salt) 400 mcg 100%

Brand that was recommended to me by tdog, he said most people had greater success with this brand:
Solgar -
Folate (as L-methylfolate as Metafolin) 800 mcg 200%

I just got sort of anal seeing that mannitol was used in it. I'll do Xylitol in small quantities.

Bought this brand last night, hoping for better luck - says Metafolin like the Solgar kind
Pure Encapsulation's -
  • folate400 mcg.
    • (as Metafolin®, L-5-MTHF)
Same thing as Solgar, but starting out dosage is 400 mcg

Just trying to clear up the confusion after reading an article about different isomers, and to watch which kinds consumers should still buy? I want to make sure I am heading on a right path.

How much folate and b12 should I aim to take?

One final question.
Has anyone taken methyl guard by thorne?
I haven't consulted with the nd yet, but I know this is the product he recommends, plus I am thinking about getting a nd, so I might be a lone dog this summer. Finances are just becoming horrible. I have been working on fixing candida issues for the past couple years. Things are better, but I still struggle, and I was hoping that methylation might be the key to fixing gut problems, anxiety issues (major problem), and just general mood and energy.

I have been through a lot, gastroparesis (surgery inserted for gastric pacemaker), no colon anymore, history of eating disorder, etc.

PeterPositive

About the methylfolate. The boost in anxiety is quite a common symptom over here.
I started with metafolin, up to 1200mcg / day and had very little problems with it. Then I switched to sublingual Quatrefolic, same dosage starting with 400, then 800, then 1200 and had horrible surges of anxiety and excess adrenaline feeling.

I don't know the reason for this. I don't think there's a huge difference between the two types of folate, not much to explain the side effects. What I suppose is that maybe it has to do with the delivery system, I guess oral methyl-folate is absorbed more slowly? Maybe the sublingual version provides a too rapid absorption? I can only speculate, but I have gone back to Solgar's Metafolin.

In any case the bottom line is to start with a low dose (100-200mcg) and allow your body to get used to it, then slowly increase it by a little bit. It may take days or weeks or even months. Everyone is different and has a different history of symptoms.

ETA: I also tried oral Quatrefolic and it didn't cause extra anxiety. Only sublingual does, for some obscure reason.

Thanks! I have been going slower now, and I am feeling better. I feel like I have been thinking more clearly lately, and I have trying real hard to analyze things! =)