• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Mella talk, exciting reveals

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
While this nutritional approach may be worth trying, my guess is that mitochondria may be dysfunctional in many cases of ME/CFS due to autoantibodies which attack them. So this might explain why rituximab works for some ME/CFS patients. So I think now there should be more research into what might be inhibiting mitochondrial function in ME/CFS, and in particular, what autoantibodies might be involved.

Yes, I think the same, bot anomalies, mitochondrial/metabolic and immune must be clearly related, as the evidence for both is ample. Perhaps another way to explain it whould be that "sickness response" started by an overactive immune system includes lowering metabolic and mitochondrial activity, rather than damaging them? one thing's for sure, they are related

Et al is a Latin phrase meaning "and others." It's usually used when a paper involves a number of researchers, but you don't want to list everyone's names all the time, so you say Myhill et al, or Booth et al.
Oh, I see, thank you! Dr Myhill seems like a good person... but she is also selling books... could she be a person who just wants to make a decent living or is she money crazy?

Hip

@lauluce Dr Myhill goes to a great deal of effort to help her patients. She seems to understand the Hippocratic Oath better than most doctors. People have to make a living, but to me her motivations seem primarily ideological and Hippocratic.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
While this nutritional approach may be worth trying, my guess is that mitochondria may be dysfunctional in many cases of ME/CFS due to autoantibodies which attack them. So this might explain why rituximab works for some ME/CFS patients. So I think now there should be more research into what might be inhibiting mitochondrial function in ME/CFS, and in particular, what autoantibodies might be involved.

Et al is a Latin phrase meaning "and others." It's usually used when a paper involves a number of researchers, but you don't want to list everyone's names all the time, so you say Myhill et al, or Booth et al.
indeed, the anomaly that causes mitochondrial dysfunction should be investigated, however, without proper founding, that's never going to happen... it enrages and saddens me to realise that the fact that there's no effective treatment or a biomarker for ME is actually a money problem, not a problem related to insufficient scientific and technological development... we have the technical and intellectual resources to crack ME, but we lack the MONEY!

TrixieStix

he didn't say hibernation, but actually "dauer-like state". Dauer is an hypo metabolic state displayed by certain nematodes when environmental conditions are hard, like when food is scarce.
I believe Dr. Fluge stated that he does not think it is a "dauer" like state either. That he disagrees with that conclusion. It's in the video of his presentation in Stockholm (october). That was how I heard it at least.

taniaaust1

Oh, I see, thank you! Dr Myhill seems like a good person... but she is also selling books... could she be a person who just wants to make a decent living or is she money crazy?

she's spend a lot of time just helping ME patients free of charge so I doubt she's money hungry. She even spent time to reply to emails I sent her with questions from here in Australia. I highly appreciate the time she must of spent freely trying to help those who have ME.

She used to have a great website with free info for us but I think she was forced to remove all that stuff so her book would be quite helpful

deleder2k

I believe Dr. Fluge stated that he does not think it is a "dauer" like state either. That he disagrees with that conclusion. It's in the video of his presentation in Stockholm (october). That was how I heard it at least.

Do you have a link to the video? :)