• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New info from Ben Lynch - Preventing Methylfolate Side Effects

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
Dr. Lynch has some great points in this article. I found that electrolye imbalances may have messed up my attempt at methylation.

I have recently tried out Emergen-c Electro-mix and Dr. Lynch's Optimal Electrolyte. Before I was using coconut water and I find these products are better.

The Electro-Mix is very affordable and fine for everyday use. Has a basic dose of potassium, magnesium, calcium and sodium. Tastes OK.

Dr. Lynch's Optimal Electrolyte is an exceptional supplement product for fatigue sufferers. Has a low dose combo of ribose, creatine & taurine that gives great energy support (but not too much) on top of basic electrolyte support. It also tastes surprisingly good for a "vitamin drink" type product. I plan to use this drink occasionally (due to higher cost) for exercise & yoga support... or when I attend events and need a boost.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I love Electro-Mix, but the acidity is too hard on my teeth. I wish they had a more neutral flavor because it's such a good mix.

The Optimal Electrolyte has taurine, which wreaks havoc on my sleep. Someone recently posted that Nutribiotic Essential Electrolytes is a good product. It's in capsule form. I'll try that.

I bought the Optimal Electrolyte, was going to send it back, and then I decided to try it after all. The taurine and ribose do make me a little nervous, too.. Trying it this morning. Hopefully it won't mess with my sleep after doing the CBS 'lite' thing for about a week.. We'll see..

Sherpa

I love Electro-Mix, but the acidity is too hard on my teeth. I wish they had a more neutral flavor because it's such a good mix.

The Optimal Electrolyte has taurine, which wreaks havoc on my sleep. Someone recently posted that Nutribiotic Essential Electrolytes is a good product. It's in capsule form. I'll try that.

Oh man... I didn't notice the cirtic acid in both blends. Probably not the best choice for long-term, everyday use.

The Nutribiotic Essential Electrolytes look like they are very low dose.

perchance dreamer

I think some people can do okay with drinking acidic things everyday. It depends on whether your teeth are sensitive or not.

I know it wouldn't bother DH. He could probably rip a phone book in half with his teeth with nary a pain.

Somewhere on these forums are recipes for homemade electrolyte drinks. They are probably on the OI/POTS forum.

Gondwanaland

Just a word of caution regarding vit B1... It will be really helpful in HYPERthyroid situation, but possibly harmful in HYPOthyroid.

@caledonia, have you tried the liposomal glutathione? I'm considering it...... I was able to tolerate 500-1000 mcgs of methylfolate daily for the past couple of weeks, as well as my B12, bits of TMG, and D3 - while doing the CBS 'lite' and his Optimal Start. I've also been doing his Optimal Electrolyte.

My tolerance went up, but I still hit a wall.

On Sunday, I had an extremely busy day, and didn't have the brain space to monitor closely, and I went over...took too much of the TMG probably.. The worst of it was only about 2 days, but it's leaving me thinking I need to try the liposomal glutathione. It's pricey, though, and I have NAC. I know it's a sulphur supplement, though, so should I avoid it?

Also. after three weeks on the CBS 'lite' program, and I'm also still reading >800 on the pee strips.

Sherpa

I have tried liposomal glutathione. I find it to be beneficial and healing..., feels very nice. Some say supplementing it too much can reduce indigenous glutathione production. I have not found it to be a huge issue.

Good to her you can handle 500 - 100mg of methylfolate... I have been uber-cautious since experiencing side effects but want to start bumping it up soon.

caledonia

@caledonia, have you tried the liposomal glutathione? I'm considering it...... I was able to tolerate 500-1000 mcgs of methylfolate daily for the past couple of weeks, as well as my B12, bits of TMG, and D3 - while doing the CBS 'lite' and his Optimal Start. I've also been doing his Optimal Electrolyte.

My tolerance went up, but I still hit a wall.

On Sunday, I had an extremely busy day, and didn't have the brain space to monitor closely, and I went over...took too much of the TMG probably.. The worst of it was only about 2 days, but it's leaving me thinking I need to try the liposomal glutathione. It's pricey, though, and I have NAC. I know it's a sulphur supplement, though, so should I avoid it?

Also. after three weeks on the CBS 'lite' program, and I'm also still reading >800 on the pee strips.

I haven't tried it, although I'm tempted to do so. I was able to ask my doc about it, and as he was unfamiliar with it, he had no opinion either way.

If you can tolerate that amount of methyl supps, there is no reason to increase. Those are normal final goal amounts for most people. If increasing makes you feel worse, then back off to the amount you can tolerate.

I've made progress on very teeny tiny amounts, way less than what you're taking. My point is, you don't necessarily need to take large amounts or even moderate amounts to make progress.

@dannybex

Definitely. Worth noting also that Dr. Lynch disagrees w/Yasko & the Heartfixer doc re the CBS/sulfur issue.

Could you please elaborate on what you believe the key differences are between the above practitioners' approaches to the CBS and sulfur issue? For instance, I've heard that if one has the CBS SNP, they should avoid NAC. I'm not sure if they all agree on that one.

Thanks in advance.

Scotty81

dannybex

@dannybex
Could you please elaborate on what you believe the key differences are between the above practitioners' approaches to the CBS and sulfur issue? For instance, I've heard that if one has the CBS SNP, they should avoid NAC. I'm not sure if they all agree on that one.

Thanks in advance.

Scotty81

Not sure about his views on NAC, but here's a quote from his Facebook page on CBS, taurine, and sulfur:

"...absolutely fine to take taurine - it supports magnesium absorption and electrolyte balance. The whole CBS upregulation and reducing sulfur long term is far from safe - or accurate. One needs sulfur - and this little bit of taurine is not going to harm - in fact, it's going to support."

I sent an email to his supplement company (Seeking Health) because they didn't have the same info on their site, and got a reply with a link to Yasko's (rather old) information. I replied again, pointing out the discrepancy, and got this reply back from one of his employees:

"My apologies. As we are not licensed medical professionals, we cannot always provide you with the information you are looking for, especially regarding interactions between particular conditions or mutations and supplements. We do the best we can. In this case, Dr. Lynch does disagree with the resource I used when researching my answer. According to Dr. Lynch, taking taurine should not be a problem or cause for concern for individuals with CBS mutations if they need it, noting that many are deficient in taurine (especially if they have GI infections)."

Hope that helps.

caledonia

@dannybex
@Scotty81

I was taking gobs of taurine while doing CBS treatment and it worked. The reason taurine is fine is because it's the free thiols which are the issue, not sulfur per se. I used the Free Thiol diet (listed in my signature links below). It was much easier than the low sulfur diet.

Yasko/Heartfixer:
reduce sulfur and ammonia in diet, and any supps
take molydenum to support SUOX (sulfur detox) 75mcg
take other supps (can't think right now) detox ammonia
check progress with urine sulfate strips
do this for 8 weeks, reintroduce sulfur foods and methyl supps while maintaining CBS supps for another month

Ben Lynch:
reduce sulfur in diet and any sulfur supps
take molybdenum and B1 to detox sulfur (500mcg moly, 50mcg B1)
do this for one week, then reintroduce sulfur supps

caledonia

Looks like I'm going to be trying glutathione after all. I did a consult on my metals tests. While my mercury has detoxed with methylation alone, my lead is not budging and will need stronger measures. My consultant suggests s acetyl glutathione. This is supposed to be equivalent to liposomal glutathione in it's ability to get directly into the cells.

I did some more research on what Ben Lynch says on glutathione. In this video (below) he says to take niacin (NADPH), vitamin E, selenium, vitamin C and B6. S acetyl glutathione and liposomal glutathione are better than reduced glutathione. I believe this was before he developed his liposomal glutathione, or surely he would have plugged that.

You can also eat eggs for the cysteine (glutathione is made of cysteine, glycine and glutamine). NAC would be another precursor (n acetyl cysteine).

I don't know what kind of glutathione Rich and Freddd were talking about in causing problems.

http://youtu.be/Y7cPJo3_57g
Then in this article he says:
glutathione requires magnesium, ATP, amino acid transport across the cell membrane and also the outer mitochondrial membrane. Then these components work together to form the glutathione. Then, once the glutathione is formed, it gets used up quickly IF there is adequate selenium. After it gets used, it is damaged and has to get repaired and this requires vitamin B2 as active riboflavin. This active form of riboflavin is FAD and needs T4 thyroid hormone to form it.

http://mthfr.net/preventing-methylfolate-side-effects/2014/11/26/

But it sounds like if you take his liposomal glutathione, you don't need additional supplementation? There is nothing mentioned on the page where you can purchase it.
http://www.seekinghealth.com/liposomal-glutathione-seeking-health.html

I submitted a question regarding this to that page.

Sherpa

I want to report positive initial effects from the SOD in the form of French melon extract that Dr. Lynch recommends for reducing methylfolate side effects. I am only using 1/2 capsule (150 I.U.) so far, as the manufacturer, Bionov, recommends the dose of 140 I.U. It works!

It reduces my fatigue and post exertional malaise, increases my ability to tolerate sun. I have more energy and just feel "better." On Saturday I spent the entire day out and about with no ill effects, just 'normal' tiredness.

Based on my SOD2 A16V snp and my reaction to the SOD supplement, I am pretty sure I had a deficiency.

Soon I will restart methylfolate and see if the electrolytes + glutathione + SOD that Dr. Lynch recommends makes a difference!

Last edited:

caledonia

But it sounds like if you take his liposomal glutathione, you don't need additional supplementation? There is nothing mentioned on the page where you can purchase it.

I submitted a question regarding this to that page.

I got an answer to my question:

Thank you for contacting Seeking Health. You may take glutathione cofactors along with the Optimal Liposomal Glutathione if you like. These cofactors are usually taken to help increase your body's own production of glutathione, however. They are not necessary to take when using a preformed, reduced glutathione such as the Optimal Liposomal Glutathione.

soulfeast

Where in Yasko's literature does she advise a 8 week sulfur cleanse? I don't think she does..

She goes by how you test.. she tests a lot. She's seen thousands of test results and trends. I was told to ADD sulfur supplements and ones that would support my particular snps because my tests showed I was low...

I wish people would not contribut "pop" methylation practices to Yasko.

Take the time (and it will take a lot of time) to read her board and her books.

@dannybex
@Scotty81

I was taking gobs of taurine while doing CBS treatment and it worked. The reason taurine is fine is because it's the free thiols which are the issue, not sulfur per se. I used the Free Thiol diet (listed in my signature links below). It was much easier than the low sulfur diet.

Yasko/Heartfixer:
reduce sulfur and ammonia in diet, and any supps
take molydenum to support SUOX (sulfur detox) 75mcg
take other supps (can't think right now) detox ammonia
check progress with urine sulfate strips
do this for 8 weeks, reintroduce sulfur foods and methyl supps while maintaining CBS supps for another month

Ben Lynch:
reduce sulfur in diet and any sulfur supps
take molybdenum and B1 to detox sulfur (500mcg moly, 50mcg B1)
do this for one week, then reintroduce sulfur supps

soulfeast

Yasko never advised to reduce sulfur long term. She goes by your test results and uses genetics as a guide not as law.

Not sure about his views on NAC, but here's a quote from his Facebook page on CBS, taurine, and sulfur:

"...absolutely fine to take taurine - it supports magnesium absorption and electrolyte balance. The whole CBS upregulation and reducing sulfur long term is far from safe - or accurate. One needs sulfur - and this little bit of taurine is not going to harm - in fact, it's going to support."

I sent an email to his supplement company (Seeking Health) because they didn't have the same info on their site, and got a reply with a link to Yasko's (rather old) information. I replied again, pointing out the discrepancy, and got this reply back from one of his employees:

"My apologies. As we are not licensed medical professionals, we cannot always provide you with the information you are looking for, especially regarding interactions between particular conditions or mutations and supplements. We do the best we can. In this case, Dr. Lynch does disagree with the resource I used when researching my answer. According to Dr. Lynch, taking taurine should not be a problem or cause for concern for individuals with CBS mutations if they need it, noting that many are deficient in taurine (especially if they have GI infections)."

Hope that helps.