• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Here: Are my EBV labs bad? If so, HOW bad? Thank you!

New Here: Are my EBV labs bad? If so, HOW bad are my labs?

I am exploring the issue of CFS with my doctor. The CFS doctor wants to put me on Valcyte.

Do you think my EBV values look bad? Thank you.

Attachments

• image (2).jpeg
    image (2).jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    180 KB · Views: 36

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
i would have thought valtrex or famvir is enough for ebv, valcyte is generally only used for cmv and or hhv6 and requires more monitoring of liver function then other antivirals.

Thank you. She also mentioned Valtrex, but it seems her main focus was on the Valcyte.

Are my lab values bad, compared to others? I'm not sure what to compare mine to.

heapsreal

different labs have different ranges so hard to tell.
some who have had ebv with cmv/hhv6 have found valcyte didnt help ebv nmuch and had to add valtrex to valcyte to get ebv down. i wouldnt try valcyte first maybe later after trying valtrex or famvir

Ema

I am exploring the issue of CFS with my doctor. The CFS doctor wants to put me on Valcyte.

I'm more used to the Labcorp ranges as well but I also would try Valtrex before Valcyte. High doses may be required. I'm currently taking 4g/day.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Spencer

Another consideration is that most people tolerate Valtrex a lot better than Valcyte. Some really have bad side effects for the first few months on Valcyte, but then others don't. But you do have to closely monitor your liver.

Sushi

Valentijn

http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/ebv/tab/test has a nice chart showing what the combination of EBV results mean. Yours means reactivation of the virus.

Positive is "bad". Negative is "good". Beyond that, I don't think ELISA testing results (the ones with "<0.91" as normal range) really say HOW bad anything is. Just that the infection is there and it's active.

A higher titer result (expressed as "1:40") might mean a worse infection, or it might just mean more infection in the sample taken. In the case of titers, for some results only 1:160 or higher might be considered positive, such as for testing for auto-immune antibodies. But in the case of EBV, any detection is positive. So your EBV Early AG result might mean either a low concentration of EBV Early AG, or it just means they didn't both diluting further because positive is positive, and how positive it is doesn't matter.

heapsreal

I use to have a good link but cant find it. But it explains what i have mentioned before and is what my docs uses to help guide him in working out if ebv and or cmv is activated, ie lymphocyte subset tests specifically elevated cd8 t cells which are commonly high in active ebv/cmv. So if one cant get titres or wants more evidence of viral infections then this test will help. We monitored that test for 12 months just incase it was high for a common run of the mill virus and because it was still high and had test positive igg to ebv and cmv( painful lymph glands/fatigue etc) we gave antivirals a run and slowly these cd8 numbers came down. So it proved our point.