• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New here and new to methylation protocol

I've been lurking here for a while but this is my first post. I've been dealing with diagnosed adrenal fatigue for a few years now without a lot of progress. My progression of symptoms looks something like this: diagnosed with mild dyspraxia in kindergarten, severe allergies in childhood, poor grip strength as a young adult, around the age of 30 I started noticing a lot of stiffness from my lower back down through my legs, developed painful peripheral neuropathy in my feet about 5 yrs ago, full-blown adrenal fatigue two years ago. Bloodwork hasn't shown any inflammatory markers but I obviously have issues with inflammation. Food allergy testing showed 17 positives including gluten and dairy and low sigA. Dairy gives me dry eyes, mouth and sinuses. If I avoid gluten my blood pressure drops to normal in a few days. Nightshade vegetables in excess causes painful arthritis-like inflammation in the fingers of my left hand (dominant side).

I've been taking p5p and sublingual b12 and D3 for a few months now. My doc recommended the P5P and when I researched it and understood the importance of active forms of B I added benfotiamine as well. I read that nasal B12 is much better absorbed so I've used a nasal spray a few times a week over the last couple of months. I stumbled onto methylation therapy and after reading a LOT of posts here ordered a few supps:

Jarrow B-Right
Advanced Research Lithium Orotate 120mg
Solgar Metafolin 800mcg
Country Life Active B12 Dibencozide with folic acid 3000mcg
Jarrow Methyl B12 5000mcg
Jarrow Potassium Citrate 99mg

Over the last week I've taken some of the above in a scattershot way since it is confusing
which protocol to follow and how to ramp up.

Yesterday I took the following in the morning and felt GREAT all day long:

Jarrow B-Right
Source Naturals Acetyl L-Carnitine & ALA
1/2 Lithium Orotate tablet
500mg Centrofenoxine
500mg Esther C
Potassium Citrate 99mg

I mean felt GREAT. Much improved energy, brain fog lifted, mood elevated. I had been taking 2-3/day of the Country Life Dibencozide over the previous few days. Curious if I should stay with whats working right now or add the sublingual B12 back in?

So the first two days I really responded but I also had wicked achilles tendonitis, normal walking would give occasional sharp pains that felt like the tendon was tearing. I've had this before and recognize it as a detox symptom. Today everything is back to "normal" whatever that is.

I realized that a couple of the things I am taking have folate so I've ordered replacements for those. It looks like the potassium I have may be too low of a dose. Does anyone have an opinion on a good one in tablet form? The centrophenoxine removes potassium gunk that builds up in cells so I may be getting some there.

caledonia

First off, you need to start low and go slow to avoid adverse reactions. This means start one supplement at time, and start with much lower doses than a normal dose. Take notes on what supplement is doing what, either good or bad.

There can be a honeymoon period where you feel great, and then WHAM. Methylation will be chugging along like a speeding train, toxins will be coming out a high rate, or you will run into methylation cycle blockages, and you will start to feel worse. At that point, it can be hard to slow it back down. Therefore, it's best to sneak up on it slowly and carefully. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

If you're getting an unusually high need for potassium and/or magnesium, I have new information that this is caused by leaky gut. Stop all methylation supplements and treat the gut first. Your multiple food allergies are a good clue that you do indeed have leaky gut.

Watch my Methylation Made Easy videos - the link is in my signature.

I definitely have leaky gut. This week I've been having smoothies for breakfast with raw, pastured colostrum, which is supposed to be great for healing this condition. The plan is to stick with GAPS or paleo the rest of the day. Unfortunately I've had trouble with this due to issues with focus, motivation and ability to multi-task.

I will discontinue the sublingual supplements. Would it be OK to continue a folate-free multi-B at a dose of one/day or maybe half a capsule?