• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New gut ecosystem model?

Rosemary

Science has long known that beneficial gut bacteria are crucial to their host's immune function. Soon after birth, beneficial bacteria begin colonizing mammalian guts, where they incite the release of specific lymphocytes that help the host's immune system combat pathogenic bacteria while leaving them in peace. But this paper, said Yale University evolutionary biologist Stephen Stearns, builds a bridge between that model of immune modulation and the epidemiological evidence that autoimmune diseases are rare in areas where intestinal worm infections are common. "This [interaction between worm and bacterium] is unexplored and, it's particularly relevant because of its medical significance," Stearns told The Scientist.

Recent research has explored using low-level parasitic worm infections to treat autoimmune diseases. Some treatments, though still controversial, exist for disorders such as Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis. The theory is that intestinal worms tone down overactive immune responses that typify autoimmune disorders. In light of these new findings, Stearns said, the health of gut bacteria must be considered in concert with the hypothesized immune modulatory effect of the worms.

For now, though, Roberts and Grencis are focusing more on the novelty of the three-way interaction between worms, bacteria and mammalian hosts that they've uncovered. Both said it was too early and there were too many additional aspects of the interaction to explore to draw clinical conclusions about what Roberts called the "three-legged stool" interaction.

But Roberts did venture a vision of how the research might be useful in the future. "I think if we understand how our immune systems develop and are built then it gives us a greater opportunity to manipulate that," he said. "It gives us the opportunity to potentially prime the immune system by different kinds of tailored probiotics or even by potentially delivering different types of worms. Who knows?"

Read more: New gut ecosystem model? - The Scientist - Magazine of the Life Sciences http://www.the-scientist.com/blog/display/57492/#ixzz0qqaqL84h

Rosemary

Whats a Helminth? And how it it used in Autism Treatment?

Whats a Helminth? And how it it used in Autism Treatment?

Simply stated, a helminth is a parasite. More exactly, an internal parasite. You may be more familiar with external parasites such as fleas and lice. Unlike these more common itchy friends, helminths or Parasitic Worms live inside of their host. That host is typically the animal or human digestive tract. Though they can live almost anywhere in the body, they prefer the intestinal wall. An abundance of parasites are often found in people with HIV.

Helminthic therapy, also called TSO (Trichuris Suis Ova) Therapy is a type of immunotherapy. Its used to treat autoimmune diseases and immune disorders by deliberately infesting the body with a helminth. Why the heck would we do that?

Think about the flu shot. We purposely inject the body with a form of the flu, so that the body fights it off and (hopefully) we avoid getting the horrible flu for one more season. Though not exactly the same instance with TSO Therapy, its a similar idea.

Its been evidenced that there are some parasites that the body needs. This day in age, theres a vaccine for almost everything. While weve decreased the number of instances of immediate death sentences with a severe disease or disorder diagnosis by eliminating parasites like helminths, it seems that its a double edged sword. Colitis and Crohns Disease numbers are on the rise. So is the number of Autism cases. Maybe, just maybe the body needs helminths. Maybe not in abundance, but at least enough to have a properly functioning immune system.

So, were treating Autism with that same parasites that are found in bodies with HIV? continued...

http://www.newautismcure.com/tso-therapy-autism-is-for-the-worms/889/

muffin

With CFIDS I never rule anything out as odd. But I am not going to swallow a parasitic worm! Not yet anyway! Thanks for this new info Rosemary. Yet MORE to think about.

Rosemary

With CFIDS I never rule anything out as odd. But I am not going to swallow a parasitic worm! Not yet anyway! Thanks for this new info Rosemary. Yet MORE to think about.

Thanks very much for your feedback muffin

I'm also very interested in looking at different treatment options for helminth infections and I am also interested in the effects that the different helminth infections have on the immune system

Quote "There are three classes of helminth parasites, namely nematodes (round worms), cestodes (tape worms), and trematodes (represented by human flukes such as Schistosoma mansoni). Experimental studies in mice have shown that different helminth parasites have distinct effects on immune functions."

My son had tapeworm problems before he became very ill....he now has a neurodegenerative condition and the most common mutation in his condition is linked to HIV

so therefore I find this information very interesting

" Helminth infections cause immune activation, resulting in increased HIV replication, and also shift the immune system to a TH2 response, which results in a loss of HIV-specific immunity "

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/9CE4A1AD-02C5-4BC5-80DE-92CF0E80B8EC.asp
Albendazole treatment of helminth co-infection in Kenyan HIV patients raises CD4 counts

judderwocky

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks for all the gut info here on PR. I'm looking at this more closely now too. More specifically, I'm learning how to make my own probiotic drinks and Kombucha ...

I ran into this and thought you might be interested in this worm thread too ... X

http://www.glutenfreeandbeyond.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4230&highlight=worms

i've been taking kefir since about 6 months into getting sick... it has helped TREMENDOUSLY

i'm curious about trying water kefir, and kombucha... but i hear its more difficult to do... let me know what you think of it

xchocoholic

i've been taking kefir since about 6 months into getting sick... it has helped TREMENDOUSLY

i'm curious about trying water kefir, and kombucha... but i hear its more difficult to do... let me know what you think of it

Hi Judderwocky,

Good to hear that the kefir is helping you. Are you making your own or buying it ? I made coconut kefir using young coconuts a few times but decided it was just too time consuming. Funny thing though, when I bought it ready made by someone using the same ingredients, it didn't seem to work as well and it tasted a little metalic.

I'm new at making Kombucha. I've only harvested one batch so far but it seems pretty easy now.

I haven't tried making water kefir yet but I'm taking a class on this next month at a local HFS. I should be getting some water kefir and dairy kefir grains then too. So far, I'm just using probiotic capsules + sometimes a small amount of kombucha + fruit juice + sugar + distilled water to make a probiotic drink with ... I'm not happy with the flavor yet but it's getting there.

I'm eager to learn more about how our gut ecology affects our bodies and it looks like we have some great info on the board ... tc ... X