• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New form of glutathione - S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione - Bioavailable?

nanonug

S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione. Will this work better?

I currently supplement with it (three times daily, on empty stomach). If the following study is to be believed and translates to "in vivo", it appears to reach the intracellular space:

"S-Acetylglutathione normalizes intracellular glutathione content in cultured fibroblasts from patients with glutathione synthetase deficiency"

From the above article: "In this study we show that addition of S-acetylglutathione to the medium raised intracellular glutathione content in cultured fibroblasts [...]"

Then there is this even more interesting article:

"S-acetyl-glutathione selectively induces apoptosis in human lymphoma cells through a GSH-independent mechanism"

There are a few more articles on Pubmed showing the anti-cancer properties of acetylglutathione.

alex3619

Hi adreno, I wondered the same thing some weeks ago when this was discussed before. NAC has a high cellular range - its goes almost everywhere in the body. Glutathione is good for most cells, particularly liver, but not all cells can absorb it or absorb it well. The fact that some cells absorb S-acetyl-glutathione does not mean all cells do. I am too busy to research this just now but its an interesting question. If someone can identify the exact molecular mechanism it uses to enter cells, and then find out if this is a common cellular mechanism, this might answer the question. If it uses a universal mechanism then it will be a good supplement. Bye, Alex