Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New form of glutathione - S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione - Bioavailable?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by kday, Apr 13, 2012.

1. kday

kday Senior Member

2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I currently supplement with it (three times daily, on empty stomach). If the following study is to be believed and translates to "in vivo", it appears to reach the intracellular space:

"S-Acetylglutathione normalizes intracellular glutathione content in cultured fibroblasts from patients with glutathione synthetase deficiency"

From the above article: "In this study we show that addition of S-acetylglutathione to the medium raised intracellular glutathione content in cultured fibroblasts [...]"

Then there is this even more interesting article:

"S-acetyl-glutathione selectively induces apoptosis in human lymphoma cells through a GSH-independent mechanism"

There are a few more articles on Pubmed showing the anti-cancer properties of acetylglutathione.

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi adreno, I wondered the same thing some weeks ago when this was discussed before. NAC has a high cellular range - its goes almost everywhere in the body. Glutathione is good for most cells, particularly liver, but not all cells can absorb it or absorb it well. The fact that some cells absorb S-acetyl-glutathione does not mean all cells do. I am too busy to research this just now but its an interesting question. If someone can identify the exact molecular mechanism it uses to enter cells, and then find out if this is a common cellular mechanism, this might answer the question. If it uses a universal mechanism then it will be a good supplement. Bye, Alex

5. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    I found S-Acetyl-L-Glutathione did nothing for me at all.

See more popular forum discussions.