Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New EBV drugs in the pipeline!

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Daffodil, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

kelly8, Sancar, Mary and 5 others like this.
  2. keepontruckin

keepontruckin

Great! Wonder when it might be available in Canada and how to get access to it.
    Znewby

3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

probably not too soon

4. Billt

Billt Senior Member

New Orleans
    Great news !! fingers crossed it wont take years !!!! thanks for info

Daffodil and Starlight like this.
  5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Jackb23 and sb4 like this.
  6. hixxy

hixxy Senior Member

Australia
    It'll be extremely expensive for at least 20 years and likely not approved for ME/CFS so unlikely to be subsidised in countries that have subsidised drug services.

Sancar and pibee like this.
  7. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

i wonder if someone can contact the company about doing a trial at some point, for me/cfs....

Sancar, Jackb23, Shoshana and 2 others like this.
  8. nryanh94

nryanh94

Am I reading it correctly that the drug that’s in phase 3 is a rituximab?

Shoshana likes this.
  9. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

what do you mean "a rituximab"?

10. Dan_USAAZ

Dan_USAAZ Senior Member

Phoenix, AZ
    FYI... I do not know what this means, but I believe it is what @nryanh94 is referring to.

upload_2018-7-6_9-45-50.png

WinterWren and Shoshana like this.
  11. nryanh94

nryanh94

Yes, that is what I was referring to. Thank you, I’m not scientifically minded by any stretch, so I’m unsure what rituximab refractory means?

12. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

It means when rituxan doesnt work

so during the trial, they are trying the drug on people who tried rituxan for post-transplant lymphoproliferative disease (the tranplant being haematopoietic stem cell transplant) but in whom the rituxan did not work

Dan_USAAZ likes this.
  13. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

someone in some lab has the technology to cure us but we cannot have it and are dying. not fair

14. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Ive posted about this guy previously and there is an article of how he put an ms patient into remission. Probably didnt get many views as a certain dr didnt believe ebv had anything to do with ms and basically shut down much debate on the thread or any thread that didnt fit his agenda.

https://msra.org.au/project/immune-control-of-epstein-barr-virus-in-ms/

Gingergrrl, Daffodil, Sancar and 3 others like this.
  15. shannah

shannah Senior Member

Some interesting excerpts from the link you gave @heapsreal ...

"A large body of evidence indicates that infection with Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) has a role in MS. Prof Pender has shown that people with MS have decreased immunity to EBV which could allow the accumulation of EBV-infected cells in the brain and the subsequent development of MS. This project will look at specific immune cells involved with the response to EBV infection known as CD8 T cells."

"Professor Pender has also examined blood samples from a large number of people with all forms of MS including the earliest signs of MS, known as Clinically Isolated Syndrome (CIS). The CD8 effector memory cell deficiency is present in all of these stages and types of the disease, including the very earliest stage, CIS, suggesting that is a cause, rather than a consequence, of the disease. He has also shown that other T cell types are also decreased over the course of disease, contributing to overall T cell exhaustion."

"An exciting development in this direction was revealed earlier this year, when Professor Pender and his colleagues published the promising results for a patient with secondary progressive MS who was treated with CD8 cells primed to recognise EBV. The therapy had no adverse effects and the patient showed clinical improvement with reduced disease activity. This is the first time that this type of therapy, known as adoptive immunotherapy, has been used to treat MS or any other autoimmune disease. Professor Pender and colleagues are now planning to undertake a phase I clinical trial of the therapy."

Updated: 13 April 2015
    PROFESSOR MICHAEL PENDER
    UNIVERSITY OF QUEENSLAND, QLD

https://msra.org.au/project/immune-control-of-epstein-barr-virus-in-ms/

Pender has published extensively and is still very actively building on his research:
    https://researchers.uq.edu.au/researcher/321

Ron Davis mentioned in his latest brief video this week that his team will be looking at the T-cell activation in ME.

Could there be something in Pender's work of interest in ME?
    I wonder if Ron is aware of Pender's research with MS in Australia.

@Janet Dafoe (Rose49)

Dan_USAAZ, sb4 and Sancar like this.
  16. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    One of the nk function studies done by griffith university cfs researchers also showed cd8 t cell function was poor, even though the cd8 numbers were fine. I think its called a functional deficiency and its possible going by this research that we have this functional deficiency in nk cells and cd8 cells.

Daffodil, Sancar and shannah like this.
  17. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

wonder if dr. davis smight be interested in contacting Atara Pharm re: CFS trial?

perrier likes this.
  18. Wally

Wally Senior Member

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/879140
    This article explains how T-Cell therapy (discussed in the article posted by @heapsreal) was used without relying on a drug treatment. Not sure how expensive or practical this type of therapy might be, but I like the idea of not needing to rely on a drug to see if this approach would work as a potential treatment.

Sancar and heapsreal like this.
  19. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

@Wally it was always my understanding that Cher went to an expensive German clinic every 6 months for some kind of similar EBV immunotherapy for CFS....

I did contact Prof. Pender who forwarded my email to someone at Atara. They are aware of possible application of their research to ME/CFS but they are a small company and at the moment, are focusing on proving their case with MS.

Maybe the same drug would work for ME/CFS? One researcher long ago told me our illness is similar to MS...like basically the same thing but a different version or something...

20. Wally

Wally Senior Member

@Daffodil - Some in the ME research world are already looking into whether a trial like Prof. Pender has done in Australia can be duplicated in ME patients. What I liked about the Pender study is that the concept can first be tested without needing to create or re-purpose a drug in order to see if a similar result result would happen in ME. Atara or another pharma company would probably be much more interested in pursuing a drug treatment trial, if they were first presented with data for ME patients like seen with MS. Fingers crossed that such a trial does end up happening.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    Sancar and Daffodil like this.

See more popular forum discussions.