• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New doctor wants to treat empirically for Lyme, good idea?

Esther12

That's what a forum member is claiming, not a doctor.

And I'm not sure how much you can get from the abstract of a paywalled article. Personally, I find it to be quite useless unless I can read all of it.

They did say, "doctors are finding", and I've found other doctors making these claims over the years too. I tend to feel that the patients passing on these claims shouldn't be blamed for being misled. I think it's the doctors making these claims, and selling testing on the back of them, that are the problem, and that this can be fairly classed as quackery.

I'm pretty sure that paper is available somewhere - on a Lyme forum? I can't remember where now and couldn't find it on google.

Last edited by a moderator:

msf

Esther, has the Stanford group's recent interest in Lyme shaken your confidence at all?

Undisclosed

Please note any further personal attacks on this thread will result in the author of the rule breaches immediately banned from this thread and having your posts moderated for a time.

Thank you.

Esther12

In being right about Lyme not being important in ME.

I've always been open to the possibility that some of those with CFS have problems resulting from Lyme infection, and it does seem that some of those who have suffered from Lyme disease go on to suffer long-term problems which could lead to a diagnosis of CFS. That's not remotely the same as thinking that the alternative testing used to tell lots of patients with CFS that they do have Lyme is reliable, or that the way it has been sold is acceptable.

I'd rather not move to PM.

msf

Ah, ok, so you are waiting for them to come up with testing that satisfies you in terms of reliability before you are willing to believe any of these claims - that seems reasonable, but with the Lyme disease being as controversial as it is, I think you're going to have to wait a long time before there is any sort of consensus about whether tests are reliable or not. Or are you just looking for a particular test to be validated by two or more independent studies?

Last edited:

msf

I guess we are also back to sins of omission and commission - is it worse to wrongly diagnose someone with Lyme, or is it worse to wrongly rule out Lyme? I think that if we looked into it we would find that medical science often advances through such sins of commission.

Valentijn

I'm pretty sure that paper is available somewhere - on a Lyme forum? I can't remember where now and couldn't find it on google.
Doesn't matter I suppose - you're wrong in any event. Papers show that the two-tier system is unreliable, and that at least one alternative test (LTT-Elispot) is much more reliable.

Undisclosed

Here's a thought -- rather than having the same arguments related to lyme testing over and over again on various threads which usually end in personal attacks, why not start a dedicated thread with a rule to keep all the personal comments out of it?

Provide the information/scientific evidence as it currently exists that might show the strengths and weaknesses of various lyme tests (there is some out there).

Provide information related to what makes tests reliable and valid and why certain tests are more valid and reliable than others.

Explain what CLIA certification means.

Something like this at least might be helpful to members who don't know much about lyme testing to make a decision about what test they might choose. It could also serve as a reference thread that could be linked to when a member refers to lyme testing.

There is no point tacking on personal insults when somebody provides information that you don't particularly agree with. Members, if presented with a thread re: the pros and cons of the tests and testing, might find that much more helpful than reading a bunch of senseless personal attacks.

GcMAF Australia

If there were good evidence that were true, it would be a major breakthrough. Unfortunately, lots of alternative doctors have been making these claims over the last couple of decades, and no good evidence to support their claims is ever presented. It is almost certainly just quackery stemming for poor quality testing I'm afraid.
Not in australia, we have access to the worlds best, including DNA tests!
These are not alternative doctors here in Australia but recognised Medical practitioners!
I know of many personally myself, and if you are wondering I worked in a laboratory which did research for Warren and Marshall who won the Nobel Prize for work on H pylori. Plus I have some 40 years working with various bacteria, DNA tests etc
There have been a number of people on PR who have tested positive to Borrelia and other bacterial infections. Generally they improve with treatment, but this of course is variable.
There is considerable concern about the Official CDC guidelines in the US. CDC is now being held in low regard by many researchers both in and outside the US.

Note that the CDC has been forced to acknowledge that 300,000 tests for Lyme in the US are positive every year. Generally at least 3% of so called healthy population have antibody reactions to Borrelia. These numbers are staggering.

In Europe around 1 million positive tests are found every year. In Australia about 20-40% of bloods tested are positive.

It is hard to believe that ME/CFS people would not consider themselves infected with Lyme.
There are many here who have had the tests and been found positive. Many of these are now improving on various protocols.

Last edited:

GcMAF Australia

Here's a thought -- rather than having the same arguments related to lyme testing over and over again on various threads which usually end in personal attacks, why not start a dedicated thread with a rule to keep all the personal comments out of it?

Provide the information/scientific evidence as it currently exists that might show the strengths and weaknesses of various lyme tests (there is some out there).

Provide information related to what makes tests reliable and valid and why certain tests are more valid and reliable than others.

Something like this at least might be helpful to members who don't know much about lyme testing to make a decision about what test they might choose. It could also serve as a reference thread that could be linked to when a member refers to lyme testing.

There is no point tacking on personal insults when somebody provides information that you don't particularly agree with. Members, if presented with a thread re: the pros and cons of the tests and testing, might find that much more helpful than reading a bunch of senseless personal attacks.
Indeed I agree

Esther12

Ah, ok, so you are waiting for them to come up with testing that satisfies you in terms of reliability before you are willing to believe any of these claims - that seems reasonable, but with the Lyme disease being as controversial as it is, I think you're going to have to wait a long time before there is any sort of consensus about whether tests are reliable or not. Or are you just looking for a particular test to be validated by two or more independent studies?

If it really was the case that there were reliable blood test for identifying the cause of a large percentage of CFS patient's health problems, then it would be easy to convincingly show this. If it was a sub-group that could be (roughly) identified clinically, and then have testing confirm the cause of the problem, that too should be able to be shown under blinded conditions.

The alternative Lyme thing has been going on for decades, without any good evidence emerging. When I first read about it, it all seemed plausible and reasonable... but there has been some positive evidence of problems with alternative approaches, and also, after so long I think it's fair to raise our standards from the lower ones we may have had for an entirely new approach that promised the hope of great things.

I do have problems with the tolerance for inflicting 'reassurance', etc within mainstream medicine, rather than just being honest about uncertainty, and I think that this can lead to patients feeling manipulated and unable to trust the doctors. One of the reasons why I'm concerned about these sort of things is that I think that they help push patients towards dodgy alternative doctors.

Not in australia, we have access to the worlds best, including DNA tests!
These are not alternative doctors here in Australia but recognised Medical practitioners!
I know of many personally myself, and if you are wondering I worked in a laboratory which did research for Warren and Marshall who won the Nobel Prize for work on H pylori. Plus I have some 40 years working with various bacteria, DNA tests etc

Then a new nobel prize will be heading in their direction soon.

Doesn't matter I suppose - you're wrong in any event. Papers show that the two-tier system is unreliable, and that at least one alternative test (LTT-Elispot) is much more reliable.

For past the initial infection? I know that there are problems with testing in the first weeks of illness.

I just googled that test and found a discussion here when Jonathan Edwards was sceptical of it's value: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/validity-of-elispot-ltt-lymes-test.35634/

Maybe it would be helpful to have an 'outsider' to the debate decide what questions about testing should be answered?

Also, a trouble is that there isn't much evidence to be had about a lot of the alternative testing that is being sold to patients. Not just stuff about validating the testing under blinded conditions, but also things like what % of the general population get classed as having Lyme according to IgeneX's (and other labs) testing? The alternative Lyme thing has been going on for ages, but we've got very little data out of it.

GcMAF Australia

If there were good evidence that were true, it would be a major breakthrough. Unfortunately, lots of alternative doctors have been making these claims over the last couple of decades, and no good evidence to support their claims is ever presented. It is almost certainly just quackery stemming for poor quality testing I'm afraid.
I communicate with many government medical bodies. Government officials and Australian University studies are not alternative doctors. quackery? hmm

duncan

@Kina 's suggestion is a good one.

To do it right, it would be smart to show how conventional tests - like the ELISA and Western Blot - got to where they are today. The science, the politics, the legwork behind the scenes.

Then the same for alternative tests.

We're talking about a lot of work.