• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New doctor today

Crux

Lately,I haven't worried about the good guys-- there're too many of 'em. Lactobacillus spp. and bifidobacteria spp. are big d-lactate producers.

Methanogens aren't all bad, but when there's constipation, they seem evil. ( I took a very low amount of neomycin-it helped...you know.)

I don't know if you have gastroparesis, that could be slowing motility, but in addition to erythromycin; LDN, cannabis, and the herb Iberis have been used as prokinetics to stimulate peristalsis. ( I still am regular after a short course of erythro.)

I don't remember if you are hypothyroid, but I'm sure you know that hypo can bung one up.

Last edited:

Eeyore

If you have a lot of constipation, ask for a serum serotonin test. Doc will probably be sort of confused - but Quest will do the test. Studies of POTS patients with hypomotility have often shown reduced serum serotonin. High levels of serum serotonin are present in disorders like carcinoid syndrome, and result in diarrhea and flushing (I do not think you have this - just pointing out the role of serotonin in gastric motility).

Some POTS patients improve on serotonergic drugs.

There's more to the theory than this, but I don't know if you even have altered serum serotonin, so no point really in going into it.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
If you have a lot of constipation, ask for a serum serotonin test. Doc will probably be sort of confused - but Quest will do the test. Studies of POTS patients with hypomotility have often shown reduced serum serotonin.
My doc said the same thing and suggested taking 5 HTP.

Sushi

Eeyore

Just be careful taking 5-HTP. Doing so under a doctor's supervision, as mentioned above, may be reasonable. It can have substantial side effects and interactions with particular drugs that could be life threatening (albeit probably rare).

Some foods have higher levels of serotonin - enough so that they can throw off a serotonin blood test, so make sure you don't eat them for the several days before the test. Also, those foods might help with constipation - it's worth a shot, and probably very safe. I think the Mayo Clinic uses prozac for POTS patients a lot.