• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Class of Potential Drugs Inhibits Inflammation in Brain

Bob

Article in Science Daily...

New Class of Potential Drugs Inhibits Inflammation in Brain
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/02/120214122031.htm

Extracts from article:

Scientists at Emory University School of Medicine have identified a new group of compounds that may protect brain cells from inflammation linked to seizures and neurodegenerative diseases.

"EP2 is involved in many disease processes where inflammation is showing up in the nervous system, such as epilepsy, stroke and neurodegenerative diseases,"

EP2 blockers could find uses in other diseases with a prominent inflammatory component such as cancer and inflammatory bowel disease."

alex3619

Hi Bob, I have been pushing this line of research since 1993, since it was pioneered here in Australia by my CFS doc at that time. He was shut down and could not find funding. My protocol has always aimed at reducing PGE2 and related eicosanoids. The body gets a burst of these things (series 2 inflammatory eicosanoids) when drinking alcohol, its very neurotoxic. They in turn induce oxidative stress and other inflammatory cascades. We also get a burst if we eat meat fat or any other concentrated source of arachidonic acid. A small amount is good. A bigger amount is bad. A lot at once is very very bad.

This current approach is focussing on post-arachidonic acid enzymes as inhibitory targets. This is like super-vioxx but avoiding many of the pathways that vioxx shut down, so side effects should be significantly reduced over COX2 inhibitors. It will have to be very carefully tested though, as COX2 inhibitors are very dangerous.

Bye, Alex

Enid

Very interesting - thanks Bob. Couldn't make out (and Docs) whether CNS infection or inflammation as ME progressed to it's worst (encephalitis). Note alex's caution though.

adreno

PR activist
This current approach is focussing on post-arachidonic acid enzymes as inhibitory targets. This is like super-vioxx but avoiding many of the pathways that vioxx shut down, so side effects should be significantly reduced over COX2 inhibitors. It will have to be very carefully tested though, as COX2 inhibitors are very dangerous.

Bye, Alex

Why are Cox2 inhibitors dangerous?