• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'New Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Treatment' (Don't get your hopes up!...it's from the UK)

Valentijn

csm_bds_07_english_f9f8760b8b.jpg
Gosh, it's a good thing there's so many therapists willing to help us, since apparently the reason we can't do GET without them is because we're complete idiots :rolleyes:

Seven7

Seven
thats how I see Unrest
There are companies that handle for example when you type PACE what are the first few pages that come on a google search, Image control (how is the disease perceived by public ) images used on articles, words used on articles (with no connotations or word association ) like unrest word has other associations not in a positive way for CFS...... Unrest has a objective, but it is not a PR all acomposing strategy. And we need that badly in UK specially.

Countrygirl

Ok, so you all inspired me to google "graded exercise therapy" using picture search. This is what I found (no joke). Enjoy:
csm_bds_07_english_f9f8760b8b.jpg

image.php

This picture is used on an article called "How Can I Start a Graded Exercise Program for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?"
Glad that this is only the start of a GET program, doesn't look too challenging. Do we get these trousers at the local fatigue clinic

This reminds of a phone call I received from a patient a couple of days ago.

He said he had ME and was attending the local ME clinic.

I asked him about his experiences there. :hug:

He said that he was told that the best treatment was .........graded exercise therapy. He was given a book on how to do it and why it cures/improves ME. :hug::hug::hug::hug::nervous::depressed:

He said he finds it difficult. :cry: :hug:

I thought I knew why. :) :smug:

I was wrong though. :wide-eyed: :woot:

The reason he finds it difficult is because .................he is a builder who is renovating property he buys before he sells it on. :aghhh: :jaw-drop:

He finds it trying to squeeze in the GET between knocking down walls, fitting in bathrooms and new kitchens. :ill::woot:

According to the fatigue clinic .............the one of Muppet fame :p..............this level of activity passes for ME :bang-head:

Last edited:

Chrisb

What's missing from this illustration, is that many of the steps are traps that collapse under your weight, dropping you not just back to the floor, but much deeper down into a dark basement there is no way out of. That would be a much more realistic representation.

You could be right.

I thought it was one of those Escher type pictures and the stairs were intended to form a loop. But having been done by someone with ME it was only half finished.

Hajnalka

This reminds of a phone I received from a patient a couple of days ago.

He said he had ME and was attending the local ME clinic.
We actually don't have a single ME or fatigue clinic in Germany (only psycho(somatic) clinics and psycho(somatic) rehabilitation centers that I got to attend 3 times) and no GET so I had to improvise :). Of course we're still expected to exercise to recover from ME. Just the "graded" part is unheard of here.
The official recommendation from a most prestigious public institution (Robert Koch Institut) says ME patients have to do at least 30 minutes of endurance sports 5 times a week. :rolleyes: (Plus of course CBT to be healed from our fear of activity (verbatim)).

They must know what's best because they made the effort to check all existing studies on ME at the same time as the IOM in 2015. The official Robert Koch Institut report is somehow much shorter than the IOM report (14 pages) and says verbatim, no wonder these people feel tired if they never move.

They must know what's best because they made the effort to check all existing studies on ME at the same time as the IOM in 2015. The official Robert Koch Institut report is somehow much shorter than the IOM report (14 pages) and says verbatim, no wonder these people feel tired if they never move.

I think we should mention that when they were questioned why they didn't include some recent studies when they were doing the research for their report they did not respond, but deleted the webpage where the report was posted and retroactively changed said reports' date to a couple months before the studies in question were published and reposted the 'new' thing without comment.

I don't know if anyone followed up on this, we should be able to play this game back until... the 1960s or so? Am I right?

Last edited:

Hajnalka

I think we should mention that when they were questioned why they didn't include some recent studies when they were doing the research for their report they did not respond, but deleted the webpage where the report was posted and retroactively changed said reports' date to a couple months before the studies in question were published and reposted the 'new' thing without comment.
Hi @Philipp, no worries :), the report is still (or back) out there:
http://www.rki.de/DE/Content/Gesund...Chron_Fatigue_Syndrom/chron_fatigue_name.html

Cheesus

Unfortunately, the the wayback machine did not archive that site.

It is worth highlighting this as an advocacy tool to preserve the history of debate.

For those who do not know, the Wayback Machine is a browser extension you can add to Chrome, Firefox and perhaps others that allows you to archive websites and access archived versions of a website.

If ever you stumble across a new blog or publication or whatever, all you need to do to save the webpage is click on the extension icon and select "Save Page Now". Then, if you ever need to prove the historical status of a page, you can again click the Wayback Machine icon and browse through any version of the page that has been saved previously.

Pages are stored on a central database, so it is not a case of savings things locally on your own computer; everyone can access the saved website.

Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wayback-machine/fpnmgdkabkmnadcjpehmlllkndpkmiak

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/wayback-machine_new/?src=ss

Mithriel

My son kept getting bouts of fatigue, headaches, malaise and memory problems (which turned out to be coeliac disease). These had gone on for years but they started to really interfere with life so he was referred to a neurologist.

That clever clogs said that his memory could not be that bad since he did so well academically (never heard of an absentminded professor) and ushered him out with exercise is good for fatigue so try to get more. This when he already knew my son was working twelve hour shifts in a factory, doing up a house at the weekend and had a five month old baby.

It is just a stupid mantra used without thought.