• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Canadian Guidelines

Mij

So I guess prevention isn't important in Canada.

I went for my annual check up yesterday and my doctor did not want to check my cholesterol, B12 levels, Ferritin, Glucose Fasting and a few other tests that she normally checks every year. She also said she doesn't do immune testing when I asked.

She said my glands weren't swollen when they've been sticking out of my neck/jaw for the last year . . . lol . . . I've actually had a few friends ask what was wrong with my neck.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quebec-becomes-latest-province-cut-annual-physical-exams-223342245.html

sarah darwins

Just great. That was maybe the best thing about Canadian healthcare the decade I lived there. In fact, an "unnecessary" annual health check was what led to my partner's cancer being discovered and treated — just in time, thank God.

But ...

"If you do a whole bunch of useless tests every year, doctors' agendas are filled and they're not seeing sick people, they're seeing healthy people," said college president Charles Bernard.

"We can't use resources blindly, doing things just to do them."

*GG*

So is this for all of Canada or only Quebec? I have lots of relatives in that Province, it's where my parents are from!

Don't think many of them are happy with the care they get! Isn't Socialized medicine great :) If it's not that, what is the problem?

GG

TigerLilea

So I guess prevention isn't important in Canada.

I went for my annual check up yesterday and my doctor did not want to check my cholesterol, B12 levels, Ferritin, Glucose Fasting and a few other tests that she normally checks every year. She also said she doesn't do immune testing when I asked.

She said my glands weren't swollen when they've been sticking out of my neck/jaw for the last year . . . lol . . . I've actually had a few friends ask what was wrong with my neck.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/quebec-becomes-latest-province-cut-annual-physical-exams-223342245.html

Yearly check ups are not necessary for healthy people except for young children and seniors. Even for someone with a chronic illness, a yearly exam is not needed most of the time. As long as your condition is being cared for, that should be enough. It was probably something that was started by the insurance companies to make a buck. It has nothing to do with "prevention not being important in Canada". Unnecessary exams and testing costs money, often times leads to more testing that was never needed, and creates the false sense that if we catch something early we will be saved which isn't always the case.

I used to watch shows like Dr. Oz until I realized that we are being told that we should constantly be worrying about our health. That isn't healthy and it isn't normal except in the US where healthcare is a for profit business.

Mij

@TigerLilea I agree partially to your comments. A chronic illness (imo from my own personal experience) does require a physical exam at least every 2 years, otherwise there are abnormalities with or without symptoms that can be ignored .

In my early twenties I was diagnosed with dysplasia which can lead to cervical cancer. I went for a biopsy and it came back with abnormal cells. I went for physical exams every year and luckily caught this very early.

Justin30

Its becoming like this in all provinces save save save yet where I am from its the most expensive place in the world to live.....go figure and my experience with health care has been horrible