• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Blog: The Science Explained Pts 1 and 2

jace

Off the fence
Hi all, I just wanted to share this new blog (not mine, I hasten to add - I'm not that clever) that is planning to explain the science in easy to understand ways. The first post is about Paprotka et al's recombinant theory, and why the conclusions in that paper are unsafe.

http://scieme.blogspot.com/2011/09/recombinant-origin-of-xmrv-paper-why_17.html

Check it out, see what you think. You can comment on the blog at the bottom of each page.

eta: there's a second post up, about retroviruses and prions. Now I understand! (I think...)

alex3619

Hi Jace, thank you for posting this though I have seen a variant of this argument previously. Unfortunately my brain stopped working half way through reading it so I will defer comment for now. Bye, Alex

PS There is nothing really new here that has not been discussed on this or some other forum, but it is a nice summation of several of the major problems with XMRV being created from recombination of two endogenous mouse viruses in culture between 1992 and 1996. Alex

PPS The prion hypothesis is not new, some form of it pops up every once in a while. Kenny de Meirleir has found aberrant proteins that might be prions, but we don't know that for sure - we need more evidence. It is more likely in my view that abnormal proteins due to problems in protein folding, methylation or production of the unfolded protein could explain a lot though. An simple assay will also find normal protein levels in the cell - its the function of the protein that would be compromised.