• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New articles on how to exercise/sweat away your ME or cross my palm with silver and I will cure you

hellytheelephant

Thanks for that, @Countrygirl, thought I would take a look to pass the time.

Does anyone else find this early Christmas shopping advert a bit disturbing? :wide-eyed::

"Special 10% off offer on all child therapy for the month of December (Quote 'Happy For Christmas')"
Presumably run by Santa Claus...who will be making a list and checking it twice
then's he's gonna find out who's naughty and nice?!:D:lol:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Countrygirl

Thanks for that, @Countrygirl, thought I would take a look to pass the time.

Does anyone else find this early Christmas shopping advert a bit disturbing? :wide-eyed::

"Special 10% off offer on all child therapy for the month of December (Quote 'Happy For Christmas')"

Seriously?

I missed that.

Has she teamed up with Esther? To be honest, the children might be safer with Louise's version of woo, than EC's.

Revel

Presumably run by Santa Claus...who will be making a list and checking it twice

What kind of kid puts "Therapy" on their Christmas list? How times change, I always used to ask for a pony . . .

I missed that.

@Countrygirl, I think it must have been for last Christmas, but if we're lucky she might repeat the offer!

How can someone be the "founder" of a syndrome??

I wondered that too, @Hilary, odd choice of word.

Hilary

What an extraordinary pile of garbage - not sure whether to cry, laugh hysterically or throw myself on the floor and have the mother of all tantrums.. How do these people get away with it??:bang-head::bang-head:

So much comes down to diagnosis and definitions - so much confusion between TATT, chronic fatigue and ME/CFS. What harm has been done by the idiot that started calling ME, CFS

Wonko

"thought field therapist"
That is actually a thing, a quack thing, but still a thing, they have official sounding associations and everything. It's TFT. They tap you, and apparently you get better, or they do, something like that.

I think it works like a modern version of leeches/bloodletting, only on your wallet rather than your blood. They seem to think people are ill because they have too much money so....

hellytheelephant

If I had a Christmas wish, I would wish that people in general would stop equating being tired all the time with ME: they are two completely different situations.

One is what happens when you are under pressure, not sleeping, looking after small kids, working long hours, over exercising, not eating well, getting stressed out etc, etc. Life style changes, good nutrition and a mix of rest and activity can help.

The other is what happens when you have a serious debilitating illness, so telling someone they are ill because of 'stress' is about an effective cure as telling Cancer patients to relax and eat better to make the Cancer go away.

Countrygirl

And..................it is all down to sexual abuse..........of course!

From Louise's link:

http://www.fibromyalgia-symptoms.org/the-sexual-abuse-question.html

Of particular interest is a study performed in Birmingham, Alabama which suggested that people with fibromyalgia were statistically more likely to have had a history of past sexual or physical abuse, though other studies seemed to disprove these results. The results of a study published by the American College of Rheumatology in its journal, Arthritis and Rheumatism showed that 65% of female fibromyalgia patients reported past sexual abuse as compared to 52% of the healthy control participants. This study found that the fibromyalgia patients with a history of abuse reported more symptoms than those fibromyalgia patients without this childhood history. The researchers felt that the study proved only that a history of abuse brought on a greater severity in the symptoms of fibromyalgia though such abuse didn't appear to be the cause of the syndrome itself.

Another study whose results were published in this same journal found that 37% of the fibromyalgia patients had been victims of childhood sexual abuse as compared to 22% of the control participants who were female and suffered from other rheumatologic diseases. This study found that a link is suggested between childhood sexual abuse and fibromyalgia, however; the connection is to the severity of the abuse, for instance, multiple events of such abuse, rather than to the abuse as a causal factor in the severity of symptoms suffered by the patients.

The wide disparity between the statistics reported in these studies as well as the results imply that the sampling of participants may not be wide enough or that the diagnostics need to be more uniform to obtain the most exact results. In any event, it is becoming clearer that there is a connection between a painful childhood history and the onset of fibromyalgia, though whether this speaks to the severity of the symptoms, the severity of the past abuse, or only to the onset of the disease itself remains to be seen.

Get Help
Fibromyalgia patients with a history of such past abuse would do well to discuss this with their care providers. Therapy is always recommended as a remedy for abuse, and fibromyalgia patients are no exception to the rule. No one can say for sure, but it makes sense that dealing with the aftermath of such abuse just may help fibromyalgia patients obtain a better quality of life.

Countrygirl

What new kind of ridiculous quackery is this?

Thought Field Therapy (TFT) is a fringe psychological treatment developed by an American psychologist, Roger Callahan. Its proponents say that it can heal a variety of mental and physical ailments through specialized "tapping" with the fingers at meridian points on the upper body and hands.

I haven't watched this yet but here you are @dangermouse

Wonko

Surely psycho-babbling quacks would prefer to use EFT? Much the same thing but with a requirement to talk about your problems while being tapped, but tapped in a less specific manner, meaning it takes longer, if you're being paid by the hour/session...every 85 quid counts (and it also has the upside that if it doesn't work it's "probably" down to the patient not expressing their problems/emotions correctly - and nothing whatsoever to do with EFT being total BS).

Countrygirl

The above reminds me of my visits to the pain clinic. I worked my way up to morphine.........did diddly squat.............apparently it does nothing for neuropathic pain caused by autoimmune disease. Following this failure the pain clinic sent me to a GP ............who thoroughly alarmed me................as all she wanted to do was tap my eyebrows. I had to keep returning for more eye brow tapping........................a completely useless waste of time and energy. It was as useless as morphine............................I still have the pain.

Moreover the doctor raised my hackles by telling me that I was wrong for using pain relief when I helped care for someone close to me at home who was dying of cancer She told me I should have scrapped the morphine driver and tap my friend's eyebrows instead. It was a fresh bereavement and I was appalled at her nonsense and tactlessness.

And the doctors think we are the fruitloops! :meh::bang-head:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates

Actually it's a bargain, because after this course of therapy your child will be happy with virtual presents so you end up saving more than the cost of the course, leaving both you and your child "Happy For Christmas".