• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new article "How Do Kidneys Like High Protein Diets?"

Jody

Wrote this for empowher.com, it's called How Do Kidneys Like High Protein Diets?

Some of us have serious food issues. Some of them don't show up clearly with immediate rashes or symptoms that suddenly bloom right after we eat this or that. And it's harder still to know -- not just what we are eating that we should not be but also -- what foods do we need that we're not getting?

So reading material on different types of eating are always useful reads I think. None of us are so disgustingly healthy yet that we can be sure our diets couldn't do with some tweaking. I know this is true for me.

starryeyes

I'm kind of confused. They say that the protein in your urine is different from the kind you eat and that eating protein is healthy for you but then they say that eating protein can overtax your kidneys if you have health issues. All I know is that CFS causes kidney problems, including protein in the urine and we do much better with a high-protein diet.

thanks Jody. Reassuring article!
started high proteine, no wheat, no gluten about 14 days ago, and feel much better. bit worried though about whether it was healthy so much protein, so thank you for writing that up :)

Jody

Bettine,

This is a subject that is important to me personally as well.

One of the first things that made a dent in my illness was going lower carb and higher protein and fats. To try and live any other way would be misery for me. I get a flare of all symptoms when I am eating grains and potatoes and corn.

I want to take every opportunity I can to broadcast this information for those of us with the same food sensitivities. It can make an astonishing difference for many of us.