• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

'New' antiinflammatory antioxidant drug on the market

natasa778

I have been looking into things that could potentially regulate Nrf2 activity (see why) and came across this 'novel' drug. It has been used in Russia for decades, now it seems it has been repackaged and in search of new markets.

The mechanisms of action sound 'too good to be true' :) I haven't seen it discussed or suggested as having potential for ME. Any docs use it? (on the other hand it is not clear if it is available at all, or would be, outside Eastern and Central Europe?)

http://www.bachpharma.com/origins.php

• Has the ability to enter cells of the central nervous system and immune system, thereby delivering therapeutic results to the gut, thymus, spleen and blood
  • Has the ability to cross the blood-brain barrier and retinal-brain barrier
  • Anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties as it scavenges free radicals

Platform Drug Mechanism of Action Bach’s researchers have discovered the Mechanism of Action of its drug platform Monosodium Luminol GVT®.

Data from published studies shows that GVT®:
  1. Regulates the activity of macrophages and synthesis of pro-inflammatory (IL-1, IL-6, TNF-alpha) and anti-inflammatory (IL-10) cytokines
  2. Increases the level of immunoglobulins (IgM, IgA) in their failure, normalizes affinity immunoglobulin
  3. Regulates the proliferative activity of subpopulations of T lymphocytes (T helper, T-killers)
  4. Regulates the cytotoxic activity of NK cells
  5. Has a stimulating effect on the phagocytic activity of neutrophils during its initial deficit
  6. Regulates the synthesis of interferon alpha and gamma
  7. Has antioxidant effect
  8. Regulates the repair of damaged tissue
  9. Regulates Nrf2 with increased production of glutathione (GSH) and thioredoxin
Mechanism of Action Platform Drug Effects Monosodium Luminol GVT® has powerful effects on multiple pathways and networks:
  • Restores mitochondrial membrane potential when mitochondria is under stress, and also prevents mitochondrial-induced cell death
  • Relatively non-toxic, well absorbed, can be taken orally, rapidly excreted, can get into the brain by passing through the blood brain barrier
  • Prevents oxidative stress, both by scavenging free radicals and by regulating Nrf2 with increased production of glutathione (GSH) and thioredoxin
  • Reacts with peroxinitrite thereby preventing protein nitration and oxidation in microglia and preventing microglia-induced neuronal damage
  • An iron and other heavy metal chelator and thereby prevents iron-catalyzed oxidative damage
  • Decreases intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS) levels in astrocytes and other cell types under various stress conditions
Drug Effects Platform Drug PK & Advantages
The Monosodium Luminol GVT® drug platform is available for use in many methods of application, has a proven safety record in humans, and is beneficial for use in adjunctive therapeutic treatments.​

natasa778

link to countries and approvals/indications

http://www.bachpharma.com/pipeline.php

Hungary has already approved it has immuno-modulatory and anti-inflammatory … also available in Germany in Switzerland

Second table shows current clinical trials, including in the US — interesting list!!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Wow - looks fantastic now if it does what it says who knows how much it could help us.

GhostGum

Any idea what it was before being repackaged? Since it may have been around in the Soviet era figured there maybe a slight chance it could have fallen into the supplement category or that it may have been in the open market and some company has just patented it and claimed it. Regardless I am guessing they have full rights now.

Does sound a little too good to be true, given the claims it is odd it has been dormant.

Edit: Sorry should have just checked the page, Monosodium Luminol.

natasa778

Any idea what it was before being repackaged? Since it may have been around in the Soviet era figured there maybe a slight chance it could have fallen into the supplement category or that it may have been in the open market and some company has just patented it and claimed it. Regardless I am guessing they have full rights now.

Does sound a little too good to be true, given the claims it is odd it has been dormant.

Edit: Sorry should have just checked the page, Monosodium Luminol.

according to this page (no idea if true info)

In Russia, Galavit has been prescribed to treat a wide range of chronic inflammatory diseases. These include illnesses with an autoimmune component—such as Crohn's disease, liver diseases, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcers and ulcerative colitis.

Doctors have also used Galavit to treat immune deficiencies arising as side effects of radiation and chemotherapy.
You should know that Galavit suffered some bad press related to its use as a cancer treatment in a clinic in Bad Karlshafen, Germany. In the summer of 2000, some doctors there declared that the drug could CURE cancer. Desperate cancer patients came from around the globe in hopes of experiencing miracle healing from this Russian wonder drug. The clinic charged upward of $13,000 for treatments valued at less than $500! (To be fair, I'm not sure that practice differs much from what we see in conventional medicine.)Sadly, the inflated promises rang hollow as all of the patients eventually died. Three people who ran the clinic were sentenced to serve three to seven years in jail for making fraudulent claims about the drug.

But despite this bungled attempt to profit from the misfortunes of others, many well-intentioned researchers still believed in the drug's potential to help fight disease—including Bach Pharma.
When they acquired rights to the drug,
they renamed it MSL (monosodium luminol) and began a series of laboratory studies to validate research previously started in Russia and Germany.

the original formulation is still sold as Galavit in Russia in few other counties it seems but rx (intramusc injections and rectal supps) only?

natasa778

For treatment of the gastrointestinal tract diseases (peptic ulcer, non-specific colitis, Crohn's disease) and genitourinary system disorders the initial dose for adults in the acute phase is 200 mg 1 time a day for 1-2 days, then the injection of 100 mg 1 time in 2-3 days. Treatment cycle is 15-25 injections, depending on a disease.

... For treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases due to secondary immune insufficiency adults are administrated 100 mg 1 time in 3 days or 100 mg every day for 5 days, then 1 time in 2-3 days. Treatment cycle is 20 injections.

http://www.pharmplanet.com.ua/en/produkty-galavit--poroshok-instukciya/

Similar with suppositories http://www.pharmplanet.com.ua/en/produkty-galavit--suppozitorii-rektalnye-instrukciya/

Martial

Shut up and take my money!

Has their been any studies of side effect profiles or adverse reactions though, it also claims it has no interactions with other drugs?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
So it's called Galavit?

Is this at any of the Russian pharmacies, I wonder? @heapsreal, have you seen it?

ETA:

http://medik24.com/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=galavit&product_id=931

They have injectable and suppositories.

I think i have seen it around but have looked into it much. there seems to be several russian type products that work in a similar way, immunofan thye say also works as an antioxidant also while also improves immune function, its on my to do list of things to try.

Heres galavit in ampoule form, no info on frequency of treatment etc though?
http://pharmashipping.net/Immune-system/Galavit-injections.

heapsreal

just read through some info and it appears to be administered 3 days apart for a total of 10 to 20 injections. This seems similar to other immune mods i have read and similar to cycloferon,

http://www.ariplex.com/ama/galavit/texte/en/1002.html

Description.
Galavit phthalhydrosid salt, clear pulver of white or slightly yellow color, provided in bottles, each bottle contains 100 mg of galavit to prepare a solution by 1-2 ml sterile distilled water, ex temporal, for intramuscular administration.

Action.
Galavit id quickly and completely absorbed at the site of administration and rapidly (in 30-60 min.) broken down to its basic compounds, that have no any biological activities, and eliminates from kidney prime rally the effects stay at 6-8 hours.
The preparation has anti-inflammatory and immunoregulatory effects, leads to inactivation of free radicals and peroxides and inhibit hyper production of IL-1, IL-6 and TNF by macrophages. The pharmacological impact of galavit is based on the achievement of two effects: shot-lived and reversible (6-8 hours) inhibition of hyper activated macrophage's function (production of IL-1, IL-6, FNO, free radiators, peroxides and other inflammatory mediators), and normalization of antigen presenting and phagocyte capacities of macrophages. At the same time galavit is able to produce the elevation of hidden capacities of the neutrophils to kill and eliminate intracellular bacteria. Galavit does not change the normal function of phagocytes.
The effect of the preparation begins to develop during first 2-3 hours and continues at least for 7 days. During the first phase of action (6-8 hours) the detoxity and anti-inflammatory effect becomes apparent and the organism's antioxidant defense is increased, which leads to normalization of lipid oxidation, and the autoimmune reaction decrease.
During next 2-3 and up to 7 days after galavit administration phagocytosis of neutrophils increases and can be noticed the reconstruction of broken cellular and humoral immunity by stimulation of T- and B-lymphocytes cooperation. At the same period of time galavit restorates the helper/suppressor ratio and specific antibacterial IgM, IgG and IgA antibodies.
The administration of the preparation leads to NO, N02, N03 increase and activation of c-GMF-sintetase production in tissues, which display in physiologic correction of vessel's spasm. Galavit also stimulates the production of plasminogen activator by endothelial cells and prevent thrombogenesis.

Indication.
Galavit is the drug of choice in the pathogenic treatment of acute and chronic infections and inflammatory diseases, including those with intoxication and diarrheas diseases, opportunistic infection, urogenital infections, autoimmune and allergic inflammatory disorders, traumatic and surgical complications of blood stream, meninges, heart, lung, joints, liver and pancreas, kidneys, complicated by septic and/or pyemic microorganism specific antibacterial and antituberculosis therapy, radiation, immunodepressive and corticosteroid therapy.

Contraindication.
Pregnancy, idiosyncrasy

Precaution.
Using at the same time any other immunostimulators or biostimulators should be avoided.

Adverse reaction.
Sometimes a slight activation of sexual potent ion can be noticed.

Administration and dosage.
Galavit is used as the solution of 100 mg in sterile distilled water pro injectionibus. In most of cases it is by 100 mg per day in one injection, it might be given in 24-48-72 hours usually from 10 to 20 in number for course. In accordance to etiology, length, complication, relapse etc. Of disease the course of injections can be repeated in 1-6 months.

Acute intestinal infections.
First dose has to be 200 mg, then - 100 mg, 2-3 times per day. Usually, 2-3 injections are enough.

Chronic and opportunistic infections.
The daily dose is 100 mg in 24-72 hours. Total number 10-20 injections.

Immunodeficiency, trauma, surgery complications.
100 mg per day during 5 days, then - 100 mg per day in 48-72 hours up to 20-25 in number.

Immunocorrection in oncological patients (cancer, melanoma, sarcoma, etc.), subjected to complex radical therapy, incl. surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy
100 mg per day during 5 days (in 24 hours), then 100 mg per day in 72 hours. 20-25 doses total.

Anglopathey (incl. diabetic) 100 mg per day during 5-10 days, then in 48-72 hours up to 20-25 in total

Ulcer of stomach, ulcerous colitis, cutaneaus ulcers etc.
Intramuscular injections of 100-200 mg ofgalavit 1-2 times per day, 10-20 in total.
It is possible to administrate paraulceral injections in 100-200 mg ofgalavit once in 48-96 hours, 3-4 injections in total.

Autoimmune syndromes.
100 mg per day during 5 days, then - 100 mg per day in 48-72 hours up to 20-25 in number.

Reactive arthritis, incl. rheumatisms.
Intramuscular injections of 100 mg daily, in a day or once in 3 days, 10-20 total. If inflammation is severe, first 2-3 injections shall to be of 200-300 mg, then 100 mg, 10-20 total.

Storage.
Galavit should be stored away from heat and light, up to 2 years. The preparation shall not be used in solution, if prepared not ex temporal pro injections and not after the date stamped on the label.

barbc56

Sometimes a slight activation of sexual potent ion can be noticed
:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Someone had to ask.

Barb

ETA Do not google this term. Don't even think about it. Anyone know of a way to find the scientific definition?

Carry on!:)

Ema

Galavit possesses anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory properties. Its main pharmacological effects stipulate capability to influence functional and metabolic activity of macrophages.

By inflammatory diseases the preparation reversibly inhibits during 6-8 hours the excessive synthesis of tumor necrosis factor, interleukin-1, active forms of oxygen and other inflammatory cytokins by means of hyperactivated macrophages, determining degree of inflammatory reactions, their recurrence, and also expression of intoxication.

Normalization of regulating function of macrophages brings to lowering autoagression level and restoration of T- lymphocytes.

So does this work kind of opposite of GcMAF?

I thought that increased the action of macrophages, whereas this Galavit seems to indicate that the macrophages are already hyper activated?

melihtas

www.piluli.ru/product/Galavit (Google translated)

On this Russian site Galavit prices:

Galavit tablets 25 mg, 20 pcs. (Sublingual) Price 280 rubles = 8 USD

Galavit vials 50 mg, 5 pcs. (IM) Price 457 rubles = 13 USD

Galavit rectal suppositories 100 mg, 10 pcs. Price 714 rubles = 20 USD

They don't have international delivery, I just posted for information.

melihtas

I thought there would be more interest for this drug.

I live in Turkey and I have a relative who lives in Kazan Russia. I told him about the drug and he bought 4 packs of sublingual Galavit for me. He is waiting someone to travel to Istanbul to send the drugs. Posting them is not an option because our customs confiscates any drug and supplement.

I will get the drugs in a week or so and I will share my experience with Galavit in this thread. If I experience significant improvement after a month, I will open a new thread with detailed information.

heapsreal

I thought there would be more interest for this drug.

I live in Turkey and I have a relative who lives in Kazan Russia. I told him about the drug and he bought 4 packs of sublingual Galavit for me. He is waiting someone to travel to Istanbul to send the drugs. Posting them is not an option because our customs confiscates any drug and supplement.

I will get the drugs in a week or so and I will share my experience with Galavit in this thread. If I experience significant improvement after a month, I will open a new thread with detailed information.

I think with immune mods, they are something we have to keep taking and may take time to see obvious effects as it takes time to lower infectious load. Also possible worse before you get better scenario. But then again some have anti inflammatory effects that can help quickly??

melihtas

I think with immune mods, they are something we have to keep taking and may take time to see obvious effects as it takes time to lower infectious load. Also possible worse before you get better scenario. But then again some have anti inflammatory effects that can help quickly??

You are right, there will be short term effects and long term effects. For short term I expect it to help with my gut problems. Galavit is used for inflammatory bowel diseases. I have ibs with diarrhea and I take 3-4 Loperamide(Immodium) tablets every day to reduce my bowel movements. Even if Galavit helps me only with gut problems, my quality of life will be dramatically improved.

melihtas

I found some information about all Russian immunomodulators.
http://www.biomedservice.ru/en/news..._home_immunomodulators_of_the_last_generation

I copied the part about Galavit.

Active component of a new immunomodulator Galavit is a derivative phthalgidrosidis. Galavit possesses anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties. Its main pharmacological effects stipulate capability to influence on functional and metabolic activity of macrophages. By inflammatory diseases the preparation is reversible during 6-8 hours, inhibits excessive synthesis of factor of tumor necrosis, interleukin-1, active forms of oxygen and other inflammatory cytokins by means of hyperactivated macrophages, determining degree of inflammatory reactions, their recurrence, and also expression of intoxication. Normalization of regulating function of macrophages brings to lowering autoagression level. Besides the influence on monocyto-macrophageous section, the preparation stimulates microbicidal system of neutrophilic granulocytes, strengthening of phagocytosis and raising nonspecifical resistance of the organism to infectious diseases, and also antimicrobic defence.
Galavit is applied to pathogenetic treatment of acute infectious diseases (intestinal infections, hepatitis, rose, purulent meningitis, diseases of urinogenital sphere, posttraumatic osteomyelitis, obstructive bronchitis, pneumonia) and chronic inflammatory diseases, including autoimmune component in pathogenesis (ulcer disease, non-specific colitis, Crohn's disease, defeat of liver of different etiology, sclerodermia, reactive arthritis, system lupus erythematous, Bechtchet's syndrome, rheumatism and others), the secondary immunology insufficiency, and also for correction of immunity by oncologic patients (before and postoperative period, receiving radial and chemotherapy, for prophylaxis of postoperative complications).
The most inductor-interferons concern also to synthetic immunomodulators. Interferon-inductors represent themselves heterogeneous on composition family of high and low molecular synthetic and natural connections, uniting ability to provoke in organism formation of personal endogenous interferon. Interferon inductors possess antiviral, immunomodulating and other distinctive effects for interferon.

Last edited:

melihtas

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1472001/

Retrovirus-Induced Oxidative Stress with Neuroimmunodegeneration Is Suppressed by Antioxidant Treatment with a Refined Monosodium α-Luminol (Galavit)

ABSTRACT
Oxidative stress is involved in many human neuroimmunodegenerative diseases, including human immunodeficiency virus disease/AIDS. The retrovirus ts1, a mutant of Moloney murine leukemia virus, causes oxidative stress and progressive neuro- and immunopathology in mice infected soon after birth. These pathological changes include spongiform neurodegeneration, astrogliosis, thymic atrophy, and T-cell depletion. Astrocytes and thymocytes are directly infected and killed by ts1. Neurons are not infected, but they also die, most likely as an indirect result of local glial infection. Cytopathic effects of ts1 infection in cultured astrocytes are associated with accumulation of the viral envelope precursor protein gPr80env in the endoplasmic reticulum (ER), which triggers ER stress and oxidative stress. We have reported (i) that activation of the Nrf2 transcription factor and upregulation of antioxidative defenses occurs in astrocytes infected with ts1 in vitro and (ii) that some ts1-infected astrocytes survive infection by mobilization of these pathways. Here, we show that treatment with a refined monosodium α-luminol (Galavit; GVT) suppresses oxidative stress and Nrf2 activation in cultured ts1-infected astrocytes. GVT treatment also inhibits the development of spongiform encephalopathy and gliosis in the central nervous system (CNS) in ts1-infected mice, preserves normal cytoarchitecture in the thymus, and delays paralysis, thymic atrophy, wasting, and death. GVT treatment of infected mice reduces ts1-induced oxidative stress, cell death, and pathogenesis in both the CNS and thymus of treated animals. These studies suggest that oxidative stress mediatests1-induced neurodegeneration and T-cell loss.