Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Jody, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I had that problem following a likely Yersinia infection, a couple years pre-ME. My stomach hurt badly for several weeks, and only felt better when I was eating. I went to my GP about it, and was assured it was normal following a stomach bug.

alkt and Jody like this.
  2. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Alex,

If sometimes food helps you focus and other times it causes fog, is it possible that the foods preceding fog might be things you are intolerant of, and should be avoiding? Maybe they are part of what is creating some of your symptoms? That has been the case for me, so I am just wondering.

alkt and Gondwanaland like this.
  3. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I take biotin as an appetite stimulator.

I will get unusually hungry when I am having a liver crisis as in a migraine. It starts with a slight headache, then i get really hungry and MUST eat, then the headache becomes unberable, vomiting ensues, and the migraine is over. :ill:
    It is mostly triggered by high estrogen. I never happen to have milk thistle or NAC on hand when it happens.

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia

I do have intolerances I am aware of, but there may be more. Its also about other complications as well. Currently I think this might be related to amine intolerance, but its far from certain. Its also possible its nothing to do with what food but what state my brain and other chemistry is in at the time.

alkt and Jody like this.
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I would think that the food is the modifying factor :cautious:

6. Jody

Jody Senior Member

Canada
    Ouch! That sounds really rough.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  7. happy

happy

Hey Jody, thanks for answering! I looked up SAD symptoms:
    • Irritability : season doesn't matter, level of fatigue does (if I get very tired during summer I'll be pretty grumpy, too)
    • Tiredness or low energy : yes, definitely worse during colder months
    • Problems getting along with other people : no
    • Hypersensitivity to rejection : always hypersensitive ;)
    • Heavy, "leaden" feeling in the arms or legs : possibly more during colder months
    • Oversleeping : I do sleep more during winter, but not excessively
    • Appetite changes, especially a craving for foods high in carbohydrates : YES! Huge appetite change, getting worse with time.
    • Weight gain : follows the appetite change
    Two years ago I tried taking vitamin D during winter crash and it got MUCH worse. It took me 2 months to get back to previous level of energy. I later found out that I should be taking magnesium as well. Now I supplement with magnesium, but don't take any vit D, because I cannot afford crashing like that.
    I would like to get a nutrient profile done this year and I think I will benefit the most if I do it in the winter months when I feel the worst. This should tell me if I'm vit D deficient.

Update on feeling nauseous during summer: this year a friend recommended a local OTC stomach remedy and my nausea is completely gone. Which is awesome :) Except now I still have all this winter weight to loose ;)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  8. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

I am Always very hungry, even when i was losing much weight. So you see how much patiƫnts differents to each other. We have different diseases.

9. Toxed

Toxed Certified in Environmental Medicine, ATSDR

Oregon
    Wow, lots of great comments.

That was me, then I went off all food additives, gluten free and raw milk. Much better. Now with achalasia I can't get food in. I'm literally starving during episodes. :confused:

I didn't even realize that some of you don't think the food tastes good! I'm so sorry for you! I love food!! Eating is like listening to an orchestra, or concert, or jazz band (depending on the type of food). I miss it so much.

Intersting cytokine connection @Rachael! Thanks!

See more popular forum discussions.