• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurontin....

soxfan

I have started taking Neurontin for two reasons. First to help with the nerve pain in my calf and foot and secondly to help with my sleep quality. I took it Monday night along with my 1/2 tablet Klonopin and woke up in the night feeling really spacy. I got up to get some water and I felt so weird....

The next morning I felt so hung over I could hardly function. I only took a 100mg tablet along with .025 Klonopin. Tuesday night I didn't take one but I took one again at about 5pm last night and today I feel the same...totally hung over and feeling weird.

Anyone else ever taken this and felt this horrible after such a small dose. I kind of feel like I am not here but in outer space....ugh....

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
It's does that to you. Makes you feel high until your brain gets used to it. I felt like I had smoked some killer weed! Lol.

After about a week I think you should be ok.

Just an unasked for comment. I gained quite a bit of weight in this so you might want to adjust your eating and see how it goes.

soxfan

I am not sure if I am even taking enough to help with sleep...but it certainly didn't make me feel better rested! I had read that weight gain is a possibility but I don't know how high a dose I will even get up to if I continue taking it. Thanks for the input....I don't feel spacy anymore but incredible tired...

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I took it years ago. I started with 800 mgs/day and got to 3200 in a week! I was wasted the entire time. In fact I stocked up on microwave stuff to prepare for that week

It never helped me sleep. It did seem to help my brain for about 8 months and then it just stopped.

I had been "feeding " some personal issues with food at the time, so I'm sure that didn't help with the weight issue.

But I remember every appointment the doc asking me if I had gained weight. Id say yeah but I had a death in the family and so I was eating

He never once told me that neuronton can cause weight gain and maybe I should watch it.

I don't know if dose makes a difference in gaining weight but I gained about 60 lbs in 8 months.

Worth a shot for the pain.

Misfit Toy

Soxfan, I was put on it for nerve pain and sciatica back in 2000. I could not stop sleeping on it and having weird dreams. Actually, I am not sure I ever really slept on it...or just dreamed. I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was a mess after awhile. I was up to 600 mg. But even lowering it, it made me extremely depressed to the point of where I was wanting to end my life. After about 2 months, I quit it.

Did it help with pain? Somewhat..only because it dulled me so much and made me feel exhausted so I wasn't really thinking of the pain.

I would stick with it, and write down how you do and see how you feel. IT can help many with pain, but it can cause some "brain" side effects.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Lyrica (pregabalin) is an improvement over Neurontin (gabapentin). It will still make you gain weight but it won't make you feel quite as spacey. It's used a lot to treat neuropathies. I've taken both and much prefer Lyrica, both for pain and sleep.

soxfan

@CFS -My doctor did mention Lyrica too...to be honest the nerve pain is bad but I can live with it. I only have it really bad when I am in a crash or extremely exhausted. I really don't like feeling even more tired than I already do each day. It seems as though it takes 24 hours to wear off.
I think for now I am just gonna quit taking it because I have so much going on (moving) that I need to be somewhat functional.

@Misfit- I do feel just so tired and listless. I have enough problems with my brain that I don't think I want to add any more...

@Minkey-I have no idea how you started off with so much. I think that would make me incapacitated for weeks! The most I have ever taken is 200mg and that wasn't even all at once.