ME/CFS and the Change of Seasons: How Does This Affect You?
The advent of autumn can hit Jody Smith pretty hard. She's learned a few ways to lessen the damage every year. How do you handle the change of seasons?
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neuroinflammation, pain, fatigue - podcast w younger and carri

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Hufsamor, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    From Facebook side:
    [​IMG]

Neuroinflammation, Pain, and Fatigue Laboratory at UAB

4 t ·
    New postcast with Dr. Younger on Dr. Carri's Functional Medicine Show!

Listen to the new podcast released today covering a conversation between Dr.- Carri and Dr. Younger on neuroinflammation. It is audio only and 30 minutes long. The link to the web version is below, followed by the link to the apple podcast file. This is the 160th interview Dr. Carri has done on functional medicine, so check out her other interviews at the third link below.

- Jarred Younger

https://www.drcarri.com/inflammation/

https://itunes.apple.com/…/functional-medicine…/id913420638…

https://www.drcarri.com/category/podcast/

Se oversettelse
    [​IMG]

ahmo, pattismith, xcell and 2 others like this.
  2. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    Explanation of inflammation, what it is and what it does.
    I haven't listened to the post cast myself.
    Some written main points in the link

3. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    Main Questions Asked about Neuroinflammation:
    • What is it?
    • Why do you believe it is responsible for chronic pain and fatigue?
    • What are the common symptoms?
    • What are microglia and how do they impact neuroinflammation?
    • How do we diagnose it?
    • What medications or supplements can help dampen neuroinflammation?
    • What can we do today to help reduce it?
    Key Points made by Dr. Younger about Neuroinflammation:
    • Every time we have a really severe infection, such as the flu, there’s a neuroinflammatory component to that.
    • Symptoms include: pain; fatigue; cognitive disruption or foggy brain; depressed mood; lack of motivation; and anhedonia (lack of pleasure).
    • Most of the patients have this neuroinflammatory element to their disease and that maybe that’s what’s making them feel fatigued and feel pain but the question is what’s causing that neuroinflammation to begin with? That varies tremendously from person to person.
    • Things that can trigger neuroinflammation include: mold exposures; virus or bacteria that’s hiding in the body; imbalance in the gut microbiome; medications that activate the central immune system.
    • We may be able to target the neuroinflammation and suppress that but what would be ideal would be to find the original trigger in the first place and then you may actually have a cure.
    • The microglia cells are really the culprit. When you’re feeling overall pain and you’re feeling fatigue, it’s probably something to do with the microglia.
    • Microglia are immune cells in the brain And they are responsible for protecting the brain from everything. Bacterial, viral, from cancers, from cell death. They have to clean up the debris; they have to clean up synapses. They do everything.
    • In a lot of these chronic pain and chronic fatigue conditions, the individual’s microglia are in this kind of angry, hypersensitive state
    • If there’s an imbalance in the types of bacteria that’s in the gut, it can very easily set up a local inflammatory condition and then if that process persists for too long, those elements of inflammation, including lipopolysaccharides and other things, can leak outside the gut.
    • We know that gum inflammation can become heart inflammation so there’s a spread there. You may have inflammation in your knee and if that’s not taken care, that may gradually migrate and it can eventually penetrate the blood brain barrier and become a neuroinflammatory condition.
    • It’s really, really important not to let peripheral neuroinflammatory things or gut inflammatory things to persist for too long because, over time, they can spread kind of like a wildfire and become harder to treat later on.
    • One of the major purposes of my lab is to develop brain imaging techniques that will allow physicians and clinicians to diagnose neuroinflammation.
    • Low-dose naltrexone was never designed to treat neuroinflammation but we know through many, many, many studies that it does go to the microglia and push them back to their normal state, their anti-inflammatory state.
    • Low-dose naltrexone works really well for fibromyalgia.
    • Several supplements have shown promise in reducing inflammation: Curcumin, Stinging Nettle, Resveratrol, Luteolin, Quercetin.
    • As absolutely horrible and devastating as a neuroinflammatory condition can be as much as we look in the brain we can find no evidence that anything is being destroyed: the neurons look intact, the synapses look intact. We do not see that there is long lasting damage.
    • Once we get a handle on suppressing the neuroinflammation, there’s a very good chance that these people who’ve been suffering for years can go back to feeling normal.

ahmo, pattismith, xcell and 4 others like this.
  4. Hufsamor

Hufsamor Senior Member

Norway
    If you have a bad day,
    read the two bottom key points:thumbsup:

ahmo, pattismith, Sidny and 1 other person like this.
  5. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Thanks for posting this! I am becoming more and more convinced that my worst symptoms are from neuro-inflammation.

My flares feel very much like the flu, so I'm fairly convinced it is neuro-inflammation causing them.

When I get a flare, which only last 2 days now, which is great. They use to last 7-10 days. They often make me feel like something is seriously wrong with me, physically.

Then a couple days later, I often feel really good, like nothing happened. Which lets me know there isn't anything seriously wrong with me.

I will do my best to hold onto the statement above when I do have a flare in the future!

6. ljimbo423

ljimbo423 Senior Member

United States, New Hampshire
    Jarred Younger says that the microglia (immune cells in the brain) become "hypersensitive" or "primed" after multiple infections or insults and over-react to very little stimuli.

Pumping out pro-inflammatory cytokines and causing fatigue, brain fog, flu-like symptoms, aches and pains etc.

He says at the 10:00 mark.

So what Jarred is saying is, LPS in the bloodstream, triggers fatigue, aches and pains and brain fog even in healthy people.

I have links to 5-6 studies that show high levels of lipopolysacharides from the gut, in the blood of ME/CFS patients, verses controls.

In Jarred's quote above he says that LPS "get into the brain"!

7. Jackb23

Jackb23

Within hours of getting food poisoning, or something like a virus, I immediately get suicidal and my brain gets much foggier. I also get super tired (given).

Thinktank, ahmo, ljimbo423 and 3 others like this.
  8. S-VV

S-VV Senior Member

I too have experienced a stark increase in suicidal feelings accompanied by general weakness and a strong malaise sensation centered in the gut.

ljimbo423 likes this.
  9. S-VV

S-VV Senior Member

At this point I don't really know if it's LPS inflammation, or my mental state being unable to cope with additional fatigue. Let's hope for the former!

ljimbo423 and Hufsamor like this.
  10. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe
    Yup, me too!
    My neuroinflammation has flared up and i'm having suicidal ideation again. For me there's a clear connection between the gut and the brain.

lafarfelue, S-VV, Jackb23 and 2 others like this.
  11. S-VV

S-VV Senior Member

I'm really sorry your going through it. It can become a really dark place.

I keep my spirit sane knowing that there are people that have,through effort and knowledge, become able to lead a semi-normal Life

See more popular forum discussions.