August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Neuroinflammation in the Brain of Patients with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by redrachel76, Mar 15, 2018.

1. redrachel76

redrachel76 Senior Member

Israel
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29348371/

I don't understand why this can't be seen on the regular PET scans that some ME patients have. Maybe these scans were done in a different way?

It's a shame they can't/won't run with this, just do it on a bigger sample size and then develop it as a test for a subgroup of ME patients, if it isn't in all ME patients

2. hamsterman

hamsterman Senior Member

Los Angeles
    Apparently, it requires a different flavor of imaging. https://solvecfs.org/2016-ramsay-research-team-1-update/

Dr. Younger is using a magnetic resonance spectroscopic thermometry (MRSt) technique to assess absolute temperature across the entire brain... and brain chemistry.

3. imitate-past-reign

imitate-past-reign

It requires more funding than the entire United States budget probably. Their older paper is available in English if you would like to read it.

echobravo likes this.
  4. Rrrr

Rrrr Senior Member

How can we get THIS paper in English? Anyone know? If so, please tag me.

5. Hip

Hip Senior Member

They use special compounds (such as the PK11195 used in the original Japanese study) which bind to activated microglia in the brain.

The PET scan is then able to detect these compounds like PK11195, and in that way can detect activated microglia that the compound attaches to in the brain (microglia are activated during brain inflammation, so if you detect activated microglia, you detect the neuroinflammation).

Using PK11195, which also written as [11C]PK11195, is old hat these days, and better and more sensitive markers of microglial activation have now been developed such as DPA-714, also written as [18F]DPA-714.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    redrachel76 likes this.
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Last month Montoya at Stanford announced they plan to replicate the Japanese findings with even more sensitive tests.

pattismith, shannah, anni66 and 8 others like this.
  7. Hip

Hip Senior Member

That's very good news.

Mel9 likes this.
  8. 62milestogojoe

62milestogojoe What's a forum then?

UK
    Not available yet in English but a quick translation of the extended Japanese abstract gives-
    hypoperfusion and degraded synthesis of glutamate, aspartic acid and acetylcarnitine in the frontal lobe, cingulate gurus, basal ganglia, hippocampus.
    Also, decreased serotonin transporter density in anterior cingulate gurus (in particular in intermediate region)

More to come hopefully, hopes that gets you started. Appears to be very different from the 2014 study.

Mel9, ScottTriGuy, Rooney and 2 others like this.
  9. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Mel9 likes this.
  10. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    Having had a look at some papers about the 'Anterior cingulate gurus' what I find most interesting about this research is the finding of decreased serotonin transporter density in that area. I hope that if the researchers follow on from this research they look into the possibility that the reduction in the density of the serotonin transporter(SERT) causes elevated levels of Hydrogen Peroxide resulting in inflammation and dysfunction of the mitochondria in that area. And that this is the main cause of symptoms. But then I would say that as I have been saying that for a while now.

Nicola.C, Mel9, Lisa108 and 4 others like this.
  11. echobravo

echobravo Keep searching, the answer is out there

Norway
    Interesting, is there a thread you would recommend where you have written about this earlier?

> reduction in the density of the serotonin transporter(SERT)

What do you think would cause this in the first place?

Nicola.C and andyguitar like this.
  12. 62milestogojoe

UK

Nicola.C, Hip, shannah and 1 other person like this.
  13. andyguitar

andyguitar Senior Member

South east England
    Hi @echobravo there is a thread which i think is called 'Anyone else have a massive improvement from Tyrosine' that is worth you having a look at. Reduction in the activity of the Serotonin transporter-SERT- is the way some anti- depressants are designed to work. Some supplements also have this effect. However this may not be the same as the decrease in the density of the transporter the researchers talk about.

echobravo likes this.
  14. echobravo

echobravo Keep searching, the answer is out there

Norway
    andyguitar likes this.
  15. 62milestogojoe

UK
    Disappointing news, this article is a re-write of the 2014 paper. Translated it yesterday and re-write was confirmed by Osaka office. On the positive side, the Prof is still working on a new study.

percyval577 and redrachel76 like this.
  16. Zara

Zara

Netherlands
    Japan is working on a second study on braininflammation. They started in sept. 2017. It is difficult to complete an extensive study like this with 100 or more subjects in a couple of months. Maybe one year work needed, find patients, collect data, analyse data, write paper, review paper, publish paper..
    We are so in need of biomedical facts...everything depends on that..so many years lost..:(

17. Hip

Hip Senior Member

I have just heard from @62milestogojoe that the 2018 neuroinflammation study discussed in this thread is merely a re-write of the original 2014 study on neuroinflammation in ME/CFS. It is the same study. It is not the long awaited larger follow-up study to the original study.

The follow-up study, which is discussed in this thread, is still to come.

18. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    This is an older study on EEG that I’m currently interested in as temporal lobe imbalance was mentioned for myself
    Using EEG to distinguish chronic fatigue syndrome patients from healthy controls and depressed patients, BMC Neurology, 1 July 2011

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  19. raghav

raghav Senior Member

India
    @wastwater What sort of temporal lobe imbalance do you have. I have left hippocampal sclerosis also called mesial temporal sclerosis. I want to know whether it can cause chronic fatigue ? Any idea on this ?

20. wastwater

wastwater Senior Member

uk
    It was an unqualified person at a biofeedback place that mentioned this to me
    I do wonder if it maybe left sided deafness that was picked up in my case
    I’m not sure if temporal lobe imbalance is even a real term so I ended up with more questions that answers but would still like an nhs eeg
    I did see something on there being links to Cfs autism and schizophrenia but there just ideas I think
    You’re condition may be something different not sure of cfs link

See more popular forum discussions.