• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurasthenia...19th Century ME/CFS?--WIKI

I went down one of the internet rabbit holes and somehow wound up at Neurasthenia. I noted some similarities...largely considered a mental disorder and the term abandoned later. Freud and other notables worked on these cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurasthenia

Classic Freud:
"In common with some other people of the time, he believed this condition to be due to "non-completed coitus" or the non-completion of the higher cultural correlate thereof, or to "infrequency of emissions" or the infrequent practice of the higher cultural correlate thereof.[6] Later, Freud formulated that in cases of coitus interruptus as well as in cases of masturbation, there was "an insufficient libidinal discharge" that had a poisoning effect on the organism, in other words, neurasthenia was the result of (auto‑)intoxication.[7] Eventually he separated it from anxiety neurosis, though he believed that a combination of the two conditions existed in many cases.[6]"

Perhaps we all just need to increase our frequency of "emissions"?

Further down the rabbit hole..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysautonomia

Signs and symptoms[edit]
The symptoms of dysautonomia, which are numerous and vary widely for each individual, are due to inefficient or unbalanced efferent signals sent via both systems. The primary symptoms in individuals with dysautonomia include

SilverbladeTE

asshole psychiatrist accused my mother of having that in late 60s or early 70s

no, she'd severe spinal cord damage form an accident and a toxic x-ray fluorescent dye the UK government KNEW was poisonous and covered it up...resulting in her suffering arachnoyditis (inflammation and scaring of the spinal cord causing pain and paralysis)

the medical profession has a SEVERE MENTAL ILLNESS ITSELF! :/

Prefect

Freud was a moron. But yes, Neurasthenia was what CFS/Me type conditions used to be called 100 years ago. It's pathetic that medical science hasn't been able to move an inch since then to treat this illness. Back then they gave you a combo of sedatives and stimulants. Now they give you SSRIs. Frankly the old treatment sounds like more fun.

Hip

largely considered a mental disorder and the term abandoned later.

I read this interesting paper recently:
Death of neurasthenia and its psychological reincarnation: a study of neurasthenia at the National Hospital for the Relief and Cure of the Paralysed and Epileptic, Queen Square, London, 1870-1932

According to that paper, neurasthenia followed the same trajectory as myalgic encephalomyelitis: it was originally seen as a neurological illness, but later its symptoms began to be viewed as a psychological.

In the case of myalgic encephalomyelitis, this term was introduced in the 1950s, and at that time ME was considered a neurological illness. But by the 1990s, the symptoms of ME were increasingly being seen as psychologically-caused, especially under their new name of chronic fatigue syndrome.

In the case of neurasthenia, the term was introduced in 1869 and was considered a neurological disease, but from around 1930 onwards, patients presenting with its symptoms began to be given psychological diagnoses instead of a neurasthenia diagnosis, and neurasthenia as a diagnosis fell out of use.