• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need Help Finding Inexpensive Food without Sorbic Acid or Benzoic Acid

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I accidentally found out that I cannot tolerate any preservatives made from Sorbic Acid or Benzoin Gum (Potassium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate etc.) I have been slowly but surely making my own hair products and soap trying to figure out what I can tolerate. Through process of elimination, I have found that it is several preservatives that I am having problems with, even in very low amounts. They make my skin red and inflamed and sometimes I will break out in sores. So far the only one that doesn't bother me are the Parabens which cause cancer. I don't want to mess with them.

It seems that every food out there has one of these preservatives in them. I am having a very hard time finding food that is o.k. Whole Foods is more expensive then I can afford. Does anybody have any idea of somewhere in the United States that is not so expensive that might have more preservative free foods for a decent price? If you do I would really appreciate it. Please and thank you.

Oatmeal is very cheap
Quinoa
Canned or frozen veggies
Fresh fruits & veggies
Meats (certain brands don't have preservatives)
Canned chicken & tuna
Bakery-made bread (ask if they add preservatives but most don't, you're expected to eat it faster) or homemade bread
Different kinds of beans
Nuts
Seeds like sunflower or pumpkin or chia
Brown rice

Though I think too many cans have BPA and even the ones without may have something else.