• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nature paper: Shocking new role found for the immune system

natasa778

So I am reading this research as the blocking of the molecule resulted in the mice isolating themselves more or being less social. It seems like a huge leap to go on to suggest that the immune molecule plays a 'profound role in maintaining proper social function' and how do you define proper social function in mice and how does this translate to humans. I would say in animals it's about survival rather than being 'social'.

Everything in humans is about survival too, no difference there, we only differ in levels of complexity of interactions (and that is from our perspective anyway, zebrafish might disagree :))

Sociability in humans has arisen from and is still a function of survival, both of individuals and of our species as a whole. If we were not social and sociable we would perish as a species, it is as simple as that.

Last edited: