• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nature: 'Controversial UK research reform crosses finish line'

aimossy

Link: http://www.nature.com/news/controversial-uk-research-reform-crosses-finish-line-1.21919

A small quote:
A controversial and wide-ranging shake-up of the United Kingdom’s research and higher-education landscape has been completed, amid a huge rush by the country’s parliament to push through legislation.

The urgency comes courtesy of a ‘snap’ general election announced this month by UK Prime Minister Theresa May, which will trigger an early dissolution of Parliament. The reforms were passed on 27 April with a number of concessions made by the government in a bid to push through the bill, which might otherwise have died as a result of the early shutdown.

The legislation, which set out sweeping changes to the way in which research is funded and how universities are governed, elicited huge debate among scientists and university leaders when it was proposed in May 2016. For scientists, the headline change, which is now law, is the merging of the various UK research-funding bodies into a new centralized agency called UK Research and Innovation, or UKRI. The agency will be responsible for distributing Britain’s £6-billion (US$7.8-billion) research budget when it comes into being in 2018.

Also a previous article from October 2016 'Leading scientists clash over sweeping UK research reforms'
Link: http://www.nature.com/news/leading-scientists-clash-over-sweeping-uk-research-reforms-1.20808

Last edited:

aimossy

I don't know much about this myself and interested to learn more about this new law or how it will affect policy. I have no clue what it really may mean for different things.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit