• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nature Comment: Scientists being open about mistakes

Simon

The frequent unreliability of research remains a hot topic in the research world, as a new Comment piece(sorry, paywalled) in Nature shows:
Greater transparency about the scientific process and a closer focus on correcting defective data are the way forward, says Jim Woodgett. ...

These comments struck me as relevant to CFS research, though the author is arguing that they apply across all of life sciences:

The inherent uncertainty of research provides a safe haven for data omission, manipulation or exaggeration. Because interpretation of data is an imperfect science, there are few consequences for those tempted to oversell their findings. On the contrary, such faulty embellishment can help to determine whether a study is published — and where. Moreover, because failure to reproduce a published finding can be due to innocent factors, significant errors or falsehoods may be overlooked or simply pass unchallenged. As a result, modern science can churn out a flotsam of dead-end data that pollute the literature and waste precious resources.

He goes on to argue that there should be wider access to research (sadly doesn't apply to his paywalled comment!) and wider discussion of it too. Woodgett probably wasn't specifically thinking of the PR Reseach forum but it would likely fit with what he had in mind. He also argues that "barriers to correction of the public record should be low but rigorous", which is a very different attitude to that shown by some Journal editors and CFS researchers.

Esther12

Woodgett probably wasn't specifically thinking of the PR Reseach forum

I'm sure he wouldn't think of the contribution from CFS patients as a positive thing... we all know what they're like!

Ta for pointing this out Simon.