• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Natural Ways to Lower Plasma Norepinephrine?

Emootje

My high norepinephrine level is responsible for many of my symptoms (nausea, burning skin, agitatie, immunesuppression and anxiety). Deep breathing (lowers norepinephrine) is working very well for me. I was wondering if I could extend this benefit by reducing norepinephrine even further with supplements.

These are my ideas so far:
*Increase degradation: MAO? (cofactors: copper, iron, riboflavin, vitamin C), COMT?
*GABA? (theanine, kava, skullcap, valerian, GABA)
*Lithium orotate
*Increase serotonin? (5-HTP)

Anyone experience with norepinephrine lowering supplements?
I need some advice...

Emootje

Anyone experience with Reserpine? (Respen-A, Serpina)
Reserpine is able to deplete catecholamines by blocking VMAT and MAO-A which result in a decrease in norepinephrine, histamine and serotonin.
Dr. Woeller uses Respen-A in autistic children with good results. http://www.autismrecoverytreatment.com/
For more information on MAO-A deficiency: http://vimeo.com/25541653

Summary:
MAO-A deficiency is caused by:
* low MAO-A active allele
* mercury
* aluminium
* cadmium
* copper toxicity
* estrogen
* stress
* lipid peroxidation

MAO-A deficiency causes:
* impaired ATP production > increased lactic acid (low MAO-A inhibits KGDH and NADH dehydrogenase)
* increased norepinephrine.
* increased histamine
* increased serotonin

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
phosphatidyl serine can help lower cortisol levels, cortisol is basically a long acting adrenaline so controlling it would help. I have had some success with this at night with tryptophan for sleep, in saying this im not the best sleeper in the world by a long shot, but this has helped.

cheers!!!

Emootje

In the previously mentioned video, Elaine Delack stated that cortisol promotes copper accumulation. Copper decreases norepinephrine degradation by lowering MAO-A activity.
I guess phosphatidyl serine could work by lowering cortisol induced copper accumulation which promotes norepinephrine degradation by increasing MAO-A activity.
Thanks Heapsreal!

mao-a.JPG

richvank

My high norepinephrine level is responsible for many of my symptoms (nausea, burning skin, agitatie, immunesuppression and anxiety). Deep breathing (lowers norepinephrine) is working very well for me. I was wondering if I could extend this benefit by reducing norepinephrine even further with supplements.

These are my ideas so far:
*Increase degradation: MAO? (cofactors: copper, iron, riboflavin, vitamin C), COMT?
*GABA? (theanine, kava, skullcap, valerian, GABA)
*Lithium orotate
*Increase serotonin? (5-HTP)

Anyone experience with norepinephrine lowering supplements?
I need some advice...

Hi, Emmotje.

Lifting a partial block in the methylation cycle will help to lower norepinephrine in two ways. One is that it raises SAMe, which is used by COMT to break down norep as you mentioned. The other is that SAMe is needed to convert norep to epinephrine.

Best regards,

Rich

Emootje

Hi, Emmotje.

Lifting a partial block in the methylation cycle will help to lower norepinephrine in two ways. One is that it raises SAMe, which is used by COMT to break down norep as you mentioned. The other is that SAMe is needed to convert norep to epinephrine.

Best regards,

Rich

This makes a lot of sense.
Thanks Rich.